UNSW On-Campus Internet (1 Viewer)

HSC
In regards to UNSW Campus Accommodation, the internet apparently costs 3 cents a megabyte which means I'd be paying over $600 a month, with my internet usage.

Well that's pretty ridiculous, I mean, 3rd world countries probably have cheaper or similarly priced internet, and seriously...I don't get why they want to do this to their own students :/

Anyway, I'm wondering all of the following:
1. What does everyone whom live on-campus do for internet?

2. Is it possible to make any kind of a deal, where you're on some kind of a decent plan with a decent download allowance (like 20-30GBs).

3. Does anyone use wireless internet? And if so, from which ISP?

4. Specifically, does anyone know if unwired (ISP) internet will work in the Kengsinton residential colleges? It is on the unwired coverage map, however I wanted to check, because there could always be some interference with university stuff and whatnot.

5. I don't suppose there's any chance of having your own phoneline anywhere on Campus?

Thanks!

HSC
- unwired works in kensington but you get shitty reception in lower campus. i was using that for awhile
- free internet = you find a port in the wall, plug your laptop in and off you go
- if youre gonna use uni wireless (cani recommend against it?), its about $10 for 454mb. so no downloading for you

HSC
Thank you for your reply.

Could you please elaborate on this?

Casmira said:
- unwired works in kensington but you get shitty reception in lower campus. i was using that for awhile
Specifically, what is the "lower campus". Also, I've never used wireless before, so I am unfamiliar with what effects a shitty reception would do. Does the connection drop out a lot? Or does the speed suffer?

Thanks again :)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lower campus would be from the uni front gates all the way up to the quad foodcourt i reckon.

CLB (central lecture building) area would probably be middle cmapus. library onwards would be upper campus i think.

A shitty reception would have both consequences. lol; loss of packets of data & the connection would drop out. also you won't be able to reconnect at times.

not much point of getting unwired internet speicifically for uni though.

and probably the reason why the uni has such a download plan, would be because they don't want the bandwidth of the uni's internet to suffer which could cause server problems.. and also so people wouldn't be hiding behind their computers downloading stuff instead of socializing / going to lectures. lol

HSC
Heh, but you don't have to be at the computer to download stuff, in fact I do most of my torrenting at night.

But yeh, damn, I guess I'm out of luck sinse the Kensington Colleges would be in the lower campus.

Though I'm thinking maybe if a get a huge antena or something it might help :D

Foxodi

HSC
Being someone who plans to go to UNSW in 2009 and actively play WoW on most nights - this concerns me ^^.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Foxodi said:
Being someone who plans to go to UNSW in 2009 and actively play WoW on most nights - this concerns me ^^.
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Heh, but you don't have to be at the computer to download stuff, in fact I do most of my torrenting at night.

But yeh, damn, I guess I'm out of luck sinse the Kensington Colleges would be in the lower campus.

Though I'm thinking maybe if a get a huge antena or something it might help :D
Well they kind of want to prevent the whole illegal downloading thing happening.

Foxodi said:
lol

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Well they kind of want to prevent the whole illegal downloading thing happening.
who says torrents are dedicated for illegal stuff.. haha.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
shinji said:
who says torrents are dedicated for illegal stuff.. haha.
I really doubt the guy downloads 20-30gig of freeware every month...

And if it was free, do you really think people would play by the rules?

HSC
unwired is alright, http://www.unwired.com.au/ going off that site in "availability" the whole of UNSW is green (has reception). I tested unsw for unwired nearly 2 years ago when i started going there in 2006, so they probably have upgraded their network. I say give it a go :) you can trial unwired afaik as well, i used to use exetel they where a great reseller.

if you;re a heavy gamer, unwired isn't for you. pings are fairly unstable.

HSC
Foxodi said:
Have you ever considered that their firewalls will block all but the basic HTTP, maybe pop3 and imap ports, especially gaming ports?

uhawww said:
I really doubt the guy downloads 20-30gig of freeware every month...
It's possible, a lot of heavy free software is distributed by p2p.

Casmira said:
if you;re a heavy gamer, unwired isn't for you. pings are fairly unstable.
Damnit, this was one of my major concerns.

I am praying to god I find off-campus accommodation.

dey-tuk-re-jobz

cute mc-Cat-ney
HSC
If you're looking to save time with UNSW IT and not having to book weeks in advance for a Uniwide installation, i've written an article on bypassing the Disconnect desk (mostly):
http://howard87.com.au/content/view/90/1/

UNSW has an awful system for getting onto their wireless network.

HSC
i can install uniwide u dopes lol, take a guess what my job is at unsw :p

edit
dey-tuk-re-jobz said:
If you're looking to save time with UNSW IT and not having to book weeks in advance for a Uniwide installation, i've written an article on bypassing the Disconnect desk (mostly):
http://howard87.com.au/content/view/90/1/

UNSW has an awful system for getting onto their wireless network.
oh there you go someones already bypassed their long ass ques. i recommend you get ADSL 2+

mind you, i have had some friends who used unwired for gaming and had no problems. i didnt neccesarily have high pings, just high PL. again, you can trial unwired! just try it for a month and if you dont like it return it.

Last edited:

Vylen

HSC
for one of my gened's back in '06 a guy would bring his laptop and the iBurst wireless modem and use that... we were in lower campus in the new law building (the paint fumes were interesting then) so i presume he got a good reception there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)