UNSW wins race to open Singapore university [SMH] (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW wins race to open Singapore university
By Linda Doherty, Education Editor
April 21, 2004

The University of NSW has beaten 15 rivals to establish the first foreign university in Singapore as the island state implements its vision of becoming Asia's education hub.

The $S120 million ($96 million) venture by UNSW to build a private teaching and research university in South Changi will have capacity for 15,000 students and tap into the booming demand for higher education in Asia.

UNSW will be the first of possibly three foreign universities allowed into Singapore, and will benefit from government and private research dollars, as well as financial help to set up from the Singaporean Government.

The UNSW deputy vice-chancellor (international), John Ingleson, who announced the deal yesterday, said the University of NSW Singapore would open in 2007 and be owned and operated by the Kensington-based university.

It will offer undergraduate, postgraduate and research studies initially to 3500 students - including 30 per cent from Singapore. The remainder are expected to come from China, India, Indonesia and Malaysia for combined degrees that will concentrate on science, engineering, technology and telecommunications.

"The university's exceptionally strong regional reputation is a key factor that influenced the [Singapore] Government's decision to invite UNSW, ahead of a range of other world-class universities, to establish a campus on its shores," he said.

UNSW has the largest proportion of international students - 24 per cent of its 40,000 students - of any Australian university. Its association with Asian students dates to the 1950s, when it accepted students on Colombo Plan scholarships.

The Education Development Board of Singapore said UNSW Singapore would "probably be the world's first foreign private university operating on such a large scale and reach" - bigger even than offshore campuses of Yale and Princeton universities.

"UNSW Singapore is truly unique because of its sheer size of the campus, complete ownership by UNSW, its science and technology focus with strong R&D and extensive international reach," the board's managing director, Ko Kheng Hwa, said.

Professor Ingleson said the venture would position UNSW between the two largest growth markets for international students - China and India. These countries and their neighbours are driving the demand for English-language teaching, partly due to the rise in the size of their middle classes and the cultural value placed on education.

"The demand for trans- national English-language education is phenomenal," Professor Ingleson said.

"It's anticipated that demand for Australian higher education by 2025 will be half a million students in Australia and another half a million offshore. Australia can only satisfy half that demand."

Professor Ingleson said the Singapore university would take five years to break even and would initially take 3500 students paying fees similar to those for international students in Australia - from $A16,000 to $22,000 a year.

"I'm hopeful that we might get to 15,000 students within 15 years, but our business plan is worked out on a minimum figure of 3500 students [a year] over 10 years," he said.

The UNSW incursion into Asia follows other Australian universities such as the Monash campus in Malaysia, RMIT International University in Vietnam and the Curtin University in Sarawak, Malaysia.

UNSW will be granted an operating licence from the Singaporean Government, sign a 60-year lease for the greenfields site in South Changi, and be able to compete for government and private research funding, which is substantially higher in Singapore as a percentage of GDP than in Australia.

The new site is near the central business district, and one train stop from Changi airport.

"We all feel at home, because there's an airport in the background," Professor Ingleson said. "What we need is a racecourse and we'll be right."

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
I was honestly surprised by UNSW wanting to setup a new campus. I am wondering how this will effect its 'reputation' in Singapore etc; it is a risky move by UNSW -, especially with quality issues etc but i guess all unis are doing it. e.g. monash etc

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
so we can choose to do a UNSW in singapore???
bcoz singapore's national language is English too
so we would be learning in English
so its same as Austarlia..
and since singapore will have mostly asians
i see no difference from the UNSW in australia ..
LOL

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by Dingo2004
LOL
UNSW Singapore will primarily be targeted at international students from countries such as Singapore, China, India, Malaysia, Thailand etc. It is being set up to help fuel the booming demand for English language teaching among Asian international students. An Australian could probably go there if they wanted but I don't see the point when you could go to the Kensington campus and have access to HECS places etc. It would be much cheaper for Australian's to go to Kensington. It is my understanding that UNSW Singapore will also only cater for Science/Engineering type courses.

ohne

HSC
UWS has a Singapore Campus already
and also a Hongkong Campus as well as a Shanghai China Campus

meh!

True, but UNSW Singapore is the first wholly-owned and operated research and teaching campus established overseas by an Australian University. Unlike many other Australian Universities, UNSW is not making a half-hearted effort, it is doing the job fully and properly and in the long run it will deliver significant benefits for UNSW.

ohne

HSC
singapore is a commerce driven country
im sure their would be commerce/economics types of courses offered at UNSW Singapore Campus.
The majority of students at the campus will not be from Singapore, probably 20-35% maximum. They are looking at English language teaching for students from all over the Asian region. The reason UNSW is being invited is Singapore wants to become a 'regional hub' for university education by attracting international students, the primary objective of this is not really to educate people from Singapore but more international students.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
Singapore has already developed itself as an economically respectable country.

the region is highly focused on commerce, and it has gone a long way since its independance from Malaysia.

i like singapore.. i used to live there :)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by ohne
True, but UNSW Singapore is the first wholly-owned and operated research and teaching campus established overseas by an Australian University. Unlike many other Australian Universities, UNSW is not making a half-hearted effort, it is doing the job fully and properly and in the long run it will deliver significant benefits for UNSW.

I don't understand, this is exactly what UOW has in Dubai.....

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
but the thing is
singapore has a better reputation than Dubai for its prosperity in commerce as a young nation, and it has gone a long way since its seperation from malaysia.
the reason singapore seperated from malaysia is bcoz malaysians were racist to chinese people and singapore being the dominant chinese populated city made independance.

even to this present day, there is racism in malaysia.
only 1% of chinese students are allowed to attend a university in malaysia. and the country's population is 60% malay and 40% chinese, The reason to this is because they want their own people (malays) to goto uni, if they have a fair system based on merit, then the chinese will take all the places at universities, so they limit the place to only the top 1% of chinese students can attend uni, and the rest cant. That is the reason why soo many international students in Australia are from Malaysia with a chinese background.

Also i think the malaysian government knows that in general, chinese people are smarter than malaysians.
that is why they have that racist rule to limit chinese people from attending universities in malaysia. So their own people can attend..

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
I don't understand, this is exactly what UOW has in Dubai.....
It is not a wholly owned and operated teaching and researching campus...

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Yeh very true Dingo, but the Chinese still the end up dominating commerce/business in Malaysia thru hard work. Esp. in KL, 60%+ of business is prolly operated by chinese. They basically run the Malaysn economy.

As for Singapore, very humid but its a nice place, Orchard Road is cool, lots of shopping!:)

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
Originally posted by AcStyle*
Yeh very true Dingo, but the Chinese still the end up dominating commerce/business in Malaysia thru hard work.
hence the malazn pleasure ?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
LOL
Yeah, it would be just like australia cept no chewing gum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)