Usyd O-week (1 Viewer)

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
So what actually happens at O-week, do have to attend any specific event during the week or is just if you want to go???

And does anyone know what kind of activities, events etc that are happening at O-week (e.g. bands, stalls, workshops)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by zannaz
So what actually happens at O-week, do have to attend any specific event during the week or is just if you want to go???

And does anyone know what kind of activities, events etc that are happening at O-week (e.g. bands, stalls, workshops)
It's not compulsory to go, but highly advisable. There is a timetable for O-week events on the USyd website, and there are specific times for certain faculties, that discuss what you can do with your course, possible careers etc.

Then there is also library tours, the need to get textbooks (and I don't know which ones I'm getting yet).

Then there are the bands in the great hall that will be playing music, and stalls where you can join up for clubs and sports etc,

I'm not sure how it will all be co-ordinated myself, but i'm looking forward to it. :)

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Re: Re: Usyd O-week

Originally posted by Ultimate

It's not compulsory to go, but highly advisable. There is a timetable for O-week events on the USyd website, and there are specific times for certain faculties, that discuss what you can do with your course, possible careers etc.

Then there is also library tours, the need to get textbooks (and I don't know which ones I'm getting yet).

Then there are the bands in the great hall that will be playing music, and stalls where you can join up for clubs and sports etc,

I'm not sure how it will all be co-ordinated myself, but i'm looking forward to it. :)
Thanks, i just found the webpage at the usyd website. Sounds like a jampacked week!!!

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Re: Re: Re: Usyd O-week

Thanks, i just found the webpage at the usyd website. Sounds like a jampacked week!!!
It's even more jam-packed by the fact that O-week only goes for 3 days instead of 5.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Re: Re: Re: Re: Usyd O-week

Originally posted by Ultimate

It's even more jam-packed by the fact that O-week only goes for 3 days instead of 5.
I was wondering why that was. . .i guess, but some thprograms such as the arts transition program go for the whole week ans some activities start on the moday at other campuses.

I have to do a bridging course that starts on the 17th of feb, which on the 4th of march, and then o-week starts so i really start uni early.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Usyd O-week

I was wondering why that was. . .i guess, but some thprograms such as the arts transition program go for the whole week ans some activities start on the moday at other campuses.

I have to do a bridging course that starts on the 17th of feb, which on the 4th of march, and then o-week starts so i really start uni early.
Well atleast you will meet some people and get the feel for uni life before everyone else does. Do u have sit exams for your briding course?

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
No, there is not exams or assessments, it's just them teaching us the required knowledge and we revising and doing private study at home.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Is anyone else studying at the Cumberland campus? I don't know whats going on with O-week...I read in one of the hadbook things that it goes for 2 days, but in the orientation day guide we got at enrolment and on the website it says it only goes for one. Are we meant to also go to any of the days on the main campus or what?:confused:

kini mini

HSC
Speaking of O-week, I think you should all join the USyd fencing club ;). USyd runs excellent lessons As far as I can see, and the club has plenty of equipment you can borrow. I've spoken to the club president Brendan and the secretary Harriet and they are very friendly people :). So go over to the The Arena (formerly known as the Women's Sports Centre) and register!

http://www.suwsa.usyd.edu.au/sports/clubs/Fencing/Classes.htm

for details :).

Generator

HSC
N/A
From memory, UTS has a great range of free items at their O Day. From experience, USyd offers nothing for free.

The transition workshops are ok, well, last year's Science workshop was alright, but they're much better if you're doing a major stream, as that way you aren't put into a physics group...

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
what about the faculty welcomes and stuff? are they compulsory?

Zannaz, Ultimate + whoever's doing commerce at usyd: we have a 5 hour welcome and presentations on the 4th.

5 hours!!!!

it finishes 7pm. I am not going to be wandering around Redfern at 7pm.

all the other faculty presentations are at sensible hours of the day and only go for an hour or so.

:mad:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by user
what about the faculty welcomes and stuff? are they compulsory?

Zannaz, Ultimate + whoever's doing commerce at usyd: we have a 5 hour welcome and presentations on the 4th.

5 hours!!!!

it finishes 7pm. I am not going to be wandering around Redfern at 7pm.

all the other faculty presentations are at sensible hours of the day and only go for an hour or so.

:mad:
I'm going to the faculty welcomes, doesn't affect me what time it finishes since I will be living on campus. I have to go to the science welcome as well as the commerce one.

btw what course are u studying?

Generator

HSC
N/A
You don't have to attend the faculty welcomes...
Unless you have been invited and/or are being forced, of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)