USYD or UNSW?? (1 Viewer)

dannar

HSC
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could perhaps give me your perspectives on which course I should pick. I know the end decision comes down to what I prefer, but I wanted to hear what you guys thought too.

Out of these two degrees, do you think I should pick:

Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours) at USYD, or

Bachelor of Vision Science at UNSW?

To be honest when I got the offer for vision science I was really excited since I found the idea of working with eyes and diagnosing refractive conditions (as a postgraduate pathway into optometry/ orthoptics) interesting. At the same time, when I got the offer for Pharmacy, I felt excited since I'd be doing a lot of chemistry as well as being able to study the pharmaceutical components of medicines, and being able to work with people in my community. I'm not looking at the prestige of either university, but the considering the courses themselves. What do you think?

Thanks guys!! :)

edds7575

HSC
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could perhaps give me your perspectives on which course I should pick. I know the end decision comes down to what I prefer, but I wanted to hear what you guys thought too.

Out of these two degrees, do you think I should pick:

Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours) at USYD, or

Bachelor of Vision Science at UNSW?

To be honest when I got the offer for vision science I was really excited since I found the idea of working with eyes and diagnosing refractive conditions (as a postgraduate pathway into optometry/ orthoptics) interesting. At the same time, when I got the offer for Pharmacy, I felt excited since I'd be doing a lot of chemistry as well as being able to study the pharmaceutical components of medicines, and being able to work with people in my community. I'm not looking at the prestige of either university, but the considering the courses themselves. What do you think?

Thanks guys!! :)
As you said yourself, whichever you prefer should be the biggest factor since both as these degrees lead to quite different careers.

I'm not an expert on this topic, but I believe the vision science degree itself doesn't qualify you to be an optometrist and you have to do the Master of Clinical Optometry. If this is the case, it's important to consider whether you have guaranteed entry into the masters component, or if not, then how hard it is to get in.

You'll also have to do some research into both course structures to find out things such as how many clinical placements you get. Another important factor to consider is how easy it is to get a job after your degree, which you'll have to research.

Hope this helps!

dannar

HSC
As you said yourself, whichever you prefer should be the biggest factor since both as these degrees lead to quite different careers.

I'm not an expert on this topic, but I believe the vision science degree itself doesn't qualify you to be an optometrist and you have to do the Master of Clinical Optometry. If this is the case, it's important to consider whether you have guaranteed entry into the masters component

You'll also have to do some research into both course structures to find out things such as how many clinical placements you get. Another important factor to consider is how easy it is to get a job after your degree, which you'll have to research.

Hope this helps!
Yes I know exactly what you mean. I just looked into the masters component and found that there are no clinical placements integrated within the degree. You have to go out and seek them yourself... as for applying for optometry, yes it's extremely competitive accepting anywhere between 1-10 applicants from the bachelor of vision science!!!

Even though I know there is the master of orthoptics at UTS I still need to look into it as well as whether it offers what I want to do or not.

On the other hand the pharmacy degree embeds clinical placements in the degree, and you can complete your honours in the 4th year. :)

quickoats

HSC
UCanberra and Deakin (Geelong) both have accelerated optometry degrees (4.5 and 3.5 years respectively) so if you’re open to moving out they’re other options. You sound like you’re more into optometry than pharmacy so why not pursue it!

dannar

HSC
UCanberra and Deakin (Geelong) both have accelerated optometry degrees (4.5 and 3.5 years respectively) so if you’re open to moving out they’re other options. You sound like you’re more into optometry than pharmacy so why not pursue it!
Hmmm I guess it's something to think about. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)