USYD Scholarships (1 Viewer)

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
nit said:
Yeh, I got one of those faculty of science calls too.
Wait a minute Nit you got a call? That is definitely privileged treatment...you should feel special...

nit

HSC
I got a call, and so did Tintin...note the same 3 letters as my username (coincidence??). Apparently we have interviews. I didn't speak to the lady in person - she got the answering machine, so I need to arrange a time soon.

tintin

HSC
uh no, not quite up there...

you should see my 4u maths - my supposedly 'strong subject' - it's very average. well, if they want an interview, so be it, but there's no accounting for taste.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I know he's not left wing... i'm saying the person up top is left wing, then the last quote is someone on the right....
then i affirm my support for howard :)

emeka

HSC
N/A
howd u guys get interviews already??? i think they have to take a look at yer UAI which isnt out yet even for UNis.

tintin

HSC
well, we did have to submit a one page personal statement, which i suppose could tell them a lot, plus they had all our trial results from our schools.

of course, i think the final decision would only be made when the UAIs are released.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The interviews (only some faculties have them) are done soon. If they don't get the UAI then they aren't offered it.

The UAI isn't used at all except to say they can get it or not. Ie. the rankings don't change after the UAI release only if you don't get the 95 required.

Plebeian

My understanding of the process, as derived from various USyd literature and attendance to their scholarships lecture on Live day:

1) Submit your application and personal statement. They will send you a letter confirming they have received it and are considering you (this is the letter you guys got).

2) They deliver your application to the relevant faculty. You will note that on your application you had to decide what faculty you were applying to. This is because all the scholarships - both the University-wide ones, and the faculty ones - are assessed by specific faculties rather than a central unit. I suppose this is because the Science faculty is best positioned to judge who has the best achievements in science, etc. - Arts people would not be able to differentiate between people who had achieved in science, because they wouldn't understand the various competitions.

3) The faculties decide whether you are worthy of a scholarship. For some faculties, this only involves reviewing your personal statement and submitted school results. For other faculties, such as science, an interview is also part of the selection process. The best candidates are shortlisted for Uni-wide scholarships. Faculties also allocate their own faculty scholarships.

4) When UAIs come out, a check is run on the people in the shortlist to see if they meet the 95+ UAI they need to receive a scholarship. If they do, they get one. The UAI is not used to decide which students get a scholarship - a person who gets 99 has no advantage over someone who gets 96. Also, people who get 99.95 or 100 are also offered a scholarship at this stage.

There is no such thing as scholarships with distinction and credit any more, the two-tiered system was scrapped last year. However, they do give out some things called entry awards which are a lump-sum of $5000 (I think), also requiring a UAI of 95+, for those who just miss out on a scholarship.

nit

HSC
Is the interview used to remove people from the short-list, or are the short-listed people assured of a scholarship, as long as they get the 95 UAI or whatever it is?

Archman

HSC
N/A
I dunt think short-listed means assured placing (i'm not completely sure on that one)>
i got a call too, on my answerin machine.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
They shortlist more people then there are scholarships (I think they would do more for those with interviews as it could change a fair bit), in case those in the top don't get 95.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Also, you get over 95 and not get a scholarship if you are shotlisted (like me) if you don't meet the UAI cutoff for the course you wrote on your scholarship form.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
They changed it to you specify a faculty such as Arts and it would be accepted for any arts degree.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
Oh Crap!!....I applied for the science scholarships and I haven't been home these last few days (holiday on Gold coast....just got back)....what happens if they called and I didn't answer? (I don't have an answering machine)....will they call again or send a letter or am I screwed!??

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
Oh Crap!!....I applied for the science scholarships and I haven't been home these last few days (holiday on Gold coast....just got back)....what happens if they called and I didn't answer? (I don't have an answering machine)....will they call again or send a letter or am I screwed!??
me dont think i got a scholarship offer. poo! probly dont need one but it would help. probly not enough achievements cos i didnt start working hard till yr11

tintin

HSC
just wondering, those people who've got an interview, have you received your letter yet? cos i haven't and it's only a week to the interview. who should i call to check this up?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Call the uni, they will direct you to scholarship unit. I think the main guy in charge is on holidays (or recently returned) but there is someone else that replaced him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)