SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Re: The p00n thread

Yea just then police closing the road

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I actually thought this would happen one day since I don't trust high buildings. If I went to get pizza I may have been injured

Capt Rifle

HSC
lol uts is one of my options followed by unsw and usyd.... Damn.. hope everyone's alright

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Pretty crazy, from what the news sites said it appears to have just crashed on to scaffolding on one of the new buildings (Engineering building i think). Extremely lucky it fell that way... Idk how they are going to get it out though, was discussing that with friends a couple of months ago - they are HUGE and pretty deep down. Can any civil engineers shed some light on that?

Anyway, the UTS page on fb just posted this.
Hi All,

You may be already aware of the incident that happened on the Broadway Building site earlier this morning. The Lend Lease crane on site caught fire, with its arm collapsing on to the building site.

We are happy to report no-one was injured and all staff and students in Building 10 were successfully evacuated following UTS protocol. The site and surrounds have been secured and the buildi
ng site is structurally safe.

Building 10 activities have been suspended until the all clear is given by security services. It will be at least three hours until the building might be re-opened, and students should go home or make other arrangements. If you are affected by the building’s closure and cannot return home – you’ve parked your car or bicycle in building 10 or you have personal possessions left inside – please come to the Student Services on Level 6 of the Tower building to speak with Student Services representative.

If you have further enquiries, please direct them to student.services@uts.edu.au.

Regards,

Peter Booth

Last edited:

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Good to see that those "Evacuation Proceedure" flyers they put up around every school actually serve a purpose.

If that happened at my old uni, we'd all die.

Though, imagine what it would have sounded like coming down on top of the building. Would have been like the world was ending from inside.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Good to see that those "Evacuation Proceedure" flyers they put up around every school actually serve a purpose.

If that happened at my old uni, we'd all die.

Though, imagine what it would have sounded like coming down on top of the building. Would have been like the world was ending from inside.
The building the crane fell on is in early stages of construction and there would have been no one it, the building that was evacuated (building 10) is next to it. There have been a few of what i believe are false alarms (and one fire early on in the year somewhere i think?) that i've heard of this year, so i wonder if the people knew it was real and evacuated promptly this time.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty crazy, from what the news sites said it appears to have just crashed on to scaffolding on one of the new buildings (Engineering building i think). Extremely lucky it fell that way... Idk how they are going to get it out though, was discussing that with friends a couple of months ago - they are HUGE and pretty deep down. Can any civil engineers shed some light on that?

Anyway, the UTS page on fb just posted this.
tower cranes can assemble and disassemble themselves using it's own craning capabilities

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)