UTS engineering (1 Viewer)

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
Almost everyone i’ve asked has dissed UTS engineering esp because of the extra 10 sr for girls in engineering. Apart from that, what makes UTS so “bad“ that everyone is saying UTS is for people who didn't get accepted into unsw engineering? I’ve also heard stuff like you hand write your codes in UTS? Is that true? Can someone confirm...

I’m just confused and don’t know what to do anymore :(

cossine

HSC
I’ve also heard stuff like you hand write your codes in UTS? Long time ago, probably not done anymore in most or all subjects.

The below might be useful to look at:

specificagent1

HSC
I’ve also heard stuff like you hand write your codes in UTS? Long time ago, probably not done anymore in most or all subjects.

The below might be useful to look at:
i dont think that's the case? i know people that do engineering at uts and i dont think they hand write code

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
Almost everyone i’ve asked has dissed UTS engineering esp because of the extra 10 sr for girls in engineering. Apart from that, what makes UTS so “bad“ that everyone is saying UTS is for people who didn't get accepted into unsw engineering? I’ve also heard stuff like you hand write your codes in UTS? Is that true? Can someone confirm...

lol the 10 extra points for girls doing engineering at UTS, is a good thing?? engineering is quite a man-saturated industry I think it's great UTS is basically encouraging and incentivising more girls to choose it. also by balancing the ratios it would make it easier for the engineering guys to find a girlfriend, they're always complaining about that lmao

also it is certainly not true that "UTS is for people who didn't get accepted into UNSW engineering". for some people their 1st pref is actually UTS, I know a guy who had his eyes on UTS engineering from the start, got a scholarship there and is currently thriving. I've also heard UTS is actually better than UNSW when it comes to engineering specifically, but idk pretty sure both uni's have their pros and cons. UTS is definitely not like a second class uni to UNSW if that's the impression people are giving you

specificagent1

HSC
lol the 10 extra points for girls doing engineering at UTS, is a good thing?? engineering is quite a man-saturated industry I think it's great UTS is basically encouraging and incentivising more girls to choose it. also by balancing the ratios it would make it easier for the engineering guys to find a girlfriend, they're always complaining about that lmao

also it is certainly not true that "UTS is for people who didn't get accepted into UNSW engineering". for some people their 1st pref is actually UTS, I know a guy who had his eyes on UTS engineering from the start, got a scholarship there and is currently thriving. I've also heard UTS is actually better than UNSW when it comes to engineering specifically, but idk pretty sure both uni's have their pros and cons. UTS is definitely not like a second class uni to UNSW if that's the impression people are giving you
hey and even with the 10 extra points for so many years the ratio is still fairly unbalanced proving that it is probably needed

quickoats

HSC
UNSW is higher ranked for engineering but rank is based on factors that don’t really matter like research output. With trimesters at UNSW, engineering is a big squeeze and all the courses are absolutely packed

username_2

HSC

UNSW is higher ranked for engineering but rank is based on factors that don’t really matter like research output. With trimesters at UNSW, engineering is a big squeeze and all the courses are absolutely packed
I agree with what quickoats said. In my eyes, if you want a really fast-paced and high pressure environment come to UNSW by all means. If you prefer a slower and calm environment come to UTS. Personally I feel like UNSW is sort of a mess, but has very good lecturers and students. UTS is not very overwhelming and has everything much more sorted, but is a bit dull and sometimes, it can be difficult if you want to push past the boundaries of your degree.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad

I’ve compared the equivalent courses between the two unis as I have a friend who goes to UTS. We both agreed that their coursework is less academically demanding.

To give you an idea I’m doing a networking course this term and my friend at UTS is doing the exact same course. The program they have to code for an assignment is given to us as a lab, and their version is easier because they get a code template. Our assignments and exams are therefore much harder. Additionally UNSW has a ‘double pass’ requirement for quite a few courses where you have to pass the final and get a total course mark over 50% in order to pass the course. Some courses also have negative marking where you lose marks for getting a wrong answer. AFAIK from my friend whose at UTS these requirements do not exist there, which is something you might want to consider.

Nonetheless UTS is still a strong University to go to and if you prefer it more don’t let people discourage you. It is by no means a ‘bad’ University.

EDIT: AFAIK handwriting code does not exist really in any uni in NSW. This used to be a thing at USYD before but iirc even they have now switched over from it. At least my friend at UTS has never had to hand write code before.

cossine

HSC
i dont think that's the case? i know people that do engineering at uts and i dont think they hand write code
I think he is referring to the final exams not in general if that is what you mean.

In the past I had to hand write code in a subject for the final exam. But due changes in that subject it is now not necessary and the final exams are done on a computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)