UTS Fitness Club (1 Viewer)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Just a query on the fitness club, what happened last year?

One of the booklets for first years in the o-week showbag said that if you joined the fitness club in march or august (i think they are right) that you get a free month of membership. Is that true? My cousin who graduated a couple years ago said that it was true.

On the other hand, when i went to the Fitness Club stall, they said it wasn't true, and that prices will be in fact going up (i.e. from its current price of a casual visit $5 --> $6, prices go up for membership as well).
Im not sure what to do, because a free month will save me about $30; and is it worth it just going casual until then? Maybe that deal got scrapped, due to VSU coming in sem2..

HSC
fuck vsu,

I paid for 6 month membership $150 and will go another 6 months just before VSU kicks in

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
DigitalFortress said:
fuck vsu,

I paid for 6 month membership $150 and will go another 6 months just before VSU kicks in
yeh, VSU prices will suck.. someone told me that the gym fees might double due to it.

HSC
voluntary student union(ism)

Atm Everyone has to pay money to join the student union. This money goes towards subsidising the costs of services around the university. e.g The Gym. By making joining the union compulsary (as it is currently) there is a lot more money going into the union meaning more subsidies which means cheaper service e.g 6month gym membership $150.
Once the students get to choose (VSU kicks in) , those thounsands of students within the university who don't want to pay money for services they don't use won't have to, meaning less money to the union, meaning less subsidies, meaning everything is more expensive for the people who enjoy the services.

On the other hand, if you don't use uni services and rather use it only as an outlet to study....well, you don't have to pay money to join and therefore things are cheaper for you.

= fucked.

hopefulyl people will continue to pay union fees'

Jamsi

HSC
I thought Union fees were compulsary though, so therefore there's no problem? People who don't use Union services can fuck off and join another UNI :)

The union is there for a purpose, lets all pay and use it!

unistudent

HSC
Jamsi said:
I thought Union fees were compulsary though, so therefore there's no problem? People who don't use Union services can fuck off and join another UNI :)

The union is there for a purpose, lets all pay and use it!
they are compulsory.. but from next semester, they will be voluntary. hence, Voluntary Student Unionism. so therefore, there is a problem.

Jamsi

HSC
unistudent said:
they are compulsory.. but from next semester, they will be voluntary. hence, Voluntary Student Unionism. so therefore, there is a problem.
Is this a UTS thing or a NSW-wide UNI thing?

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
i think this is the last semester where fees are compulsory.. oh no :(

i want to join clubs ;_;

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Have a read: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...or-uni-students/2006/03/04/1141191886278.html
especially: 'The public is expected to feel the pinch too, with sports club fees rising on at least two Sydney uni campuses (the University of Western Sydney and the University of Technology, Sydney), and rises expected at union-subsidised child-care centres.'

-

Logistics said:
sif they need to put the prices up because of VSU.
most of the gym funding is from union fees, obviously they will increase in price; apparently close to double what it is now.

Undertoad said:
Do they hold dance classes at the gym?
Not alot, the fitness classes they have are displayed @ http://www.utsunion.uts.edu.au/sport/fitness/index.html

unistudent said:
NSW-wide UNI thing. the legislation kicks in sometime soon.
july 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)