UWS Grads!! Please share your thoughts (1 Viewer)

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
Is there any UWS Graduates lurking around? Or anyone in their final year already in their chosen career? Because I'd really like to hear about your job offers, career opportunties, how you find your job in relation to your degree, or if you regret not transferring when there was a chance?

I'm starting to have second thoughts about my degree, and I'm in my last year of uni :(. Please re-assure me that it's going to be ok.

tubtub

HSC
RabbitRabbit said:
Is there any UWS Graduates lurking around? Or anyone in their final year already in their chosen career? Because I'd really like to hear about your job offers, career opportunties, how you find your job in relation to your degree, or if you regret not transferring when there was a chance?

I'm starting to have second thoughts about my degree, and I'm in my last year of uni :(. Please re-assure me that it's going to be ok.
hey rabbitrabbit. im not a grad but im curious, what second thoughts are you having on your degree?

hey RabbitRabbit.
I dont know how much help ill be re-assuring you as it will be likely we arent doing the same course.

but anyways to answer your question -
i finished my B.Nursing course last year, and graduating this year in april. My job offers have been incredible - ive applied at all the major hospitals private and public and have been offered every single one ive applied for, there is great competition for new graduate nursing spots as all hospitals only have a small number of spots for the 1000+ new grads coming out this year. Also i've heard from one of the professors that most of UWS nursing graduates this year got their first preferences when it comes to hospitals, so this may be some re-assurance to you if your thinking that coming from UWS wont get you as much job offers, but then again nurses are in demand, so i cant completely compare my job offers to your situation.

My career oppurtunities go beyond the hospital i can work with private companies as a health consultant (after a few years of nursing), travel the world as a personal carer, i can work on research/health projects, health promotion, university education/teaching, community health and even become a nurse practioner etc etc...

my advice to you is if your having second thoughts about your degree, before you transfer is to get some work experience in your course field, and try to get a real feel for it. cos you never know you might love it in the end!??!

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
tubtub said:
hey rabbitrabbit. im not a grad but im curious, what second thoughts are you having on your degree?
I'm currently doing a Business course but have always had split interests in Design, Arts and Science (completely unrelated I know). After some thought about my future, I'm starting to worry if this career path is really what I want to do for the next 40 years.
Being another anxiety-driven-corporate-zombie doesn't seem all that appealing as it did 2 years ago. So far everything I'm learning is about money and corporate gain.. it's an industry all about profit-maximisation; which is not even remotely as rewarding of a career like nursing or medicine. I really hope I'm wrong in thinking all this.

giggles869 said:
hey RabbitRabbit.
I dont know how much help ill be re-assuring you as it will be likely we arent doing the same course.

but anyways to answer your question -
i finished my B.Nursing course last year, and graduating this year in april. My job offers have been incredible - ive applied at all the major hospitals private and public and have been offered every single one ive applied for, there is great competition for new graduate nursing spots as all hospitals only have a small number of spots for the 1000+ new grads coming out this year. Also i've heard from one of the professors that most of UWS nursing graduates this year got their first preferences when it comes to hospitals, so this may be some re-assurance to you if your thinking that coming from UWS wont get you as much job offers, but then again nurses are in demand, so i cant completely compare my job offers to your situation.

My career oppurtunities go beyond the hospital i can work with private companies as a health consultant (after a few years of nursing), travel the world as a personal carer, i can work on research/health projects, health promotion, university education/teaching, community health and even become a nurse practioner etc etc...

my advice to you is if your having second thoughts about your degree, before you transfer is to get some work experience in your course field, and try to get a real feel for it. cos you never know you might love it in the end!??!
Thanks for sharing that Giggles, and congrats on completing your degree. Hearing that, makes graduating sound really good; actually its the only thing keeping me motivated.

Are you considering any Post Grad work? and Did your employer consider your Uni marks? Getting experience in my field is a good idea, but seeing as my marks are only average (Pass/Credit) it's very competitive or maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
RabbitRabbit said:
I felt exactly the same why as that when I started my third year. I took a year off and worked and did some volunteer work in the field that I wanted to get into. I think its quite common for people to have second thoughts about their degree when they are about to complete it.

Not once did I consider transferring, only because it was the only course of the kind available in Sydney uni's (the only other course that is similar is available at CSU).

I'll admit its difficult to get a job within the environmental management field (that I studied for); as a lot of jobs where I want to apply for, particulary in local council require 5 or more years work experience, which is something that I just don't have at the moment. So I'll probably go and do a masters in environmental management or tourism. I haven't decided yet, I just need a break after all the studying :p

but seeing as my marks are only average (Pass/Credit) it's very competitive or maybe I'm not looking in the right places.
Thats the same as my transcript, even has a few fails to make it look nice :p If you get some experience in the field that you want to be in, then they won't look as heavily on your marks (that has been my experience), it might be different for you. Since I have about 1.5 years volunteering work done, they don't focus as much on my uni results, they just asked what I studied and what things I did whilst volunteering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)