Very Interesting Concept for a Motorsport Team.... (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Most universities in Australia have a similar thing going except the money used is in the order of less than $20k.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Seems pretty doomed to me. Their funding goals are absolutely immense and they haven't really stated what amount of donation will give what donors what sort of entitlements. From what I can see, they're giving very little back to their "founders". Thanks but no thanks, I'd rather invest in my own racecar.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting way to get funding and it goes to show both i) how difficult it is to succeed in motorsport these days (i.e. it's not just about skill, it's also about funding); and ii) advertising/marketing alone isn't enough to sponsor a team.

It reminds me of the dragons den episode where a father and son wanted funding.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Interesting way to get funding and it goes to show both i) how difficult it is to succeed in motorsport these days (i.e. it's not just about skill, it's also about funding); and ii) advertising/marketing alone isn't enough to sponsor a team.

It reminds me of the dragons den episode where a father and son wanted funding.
Its difficult to find funding because companies would rather invest in something more sustainable or that can make them better profits. For example, the racing team at uni gets over 5 times less funding altogether compared to the solar car team. Its because they see solar cars as much more sustainable and a bigger investment into the future so naturally they would rather go for that instead.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The way I see it- sponsoring something like this in the modern world is more a hobby or a passion as opposed to a business venture. Trying to turn it into a business where you measure ROI will never be enough.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The way I see it- sponsoring something like this in the modern world is more a hobby or a passion as opposed to a business venture. Trying to turn it into a business where you measure ROI will never be enough.
Pretty much that's how it is.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Its difficult to find funding because companies would rather invest in something more sustainable or that can make them better profits. For example, the racing team at uni gets over 5 times less funding altogether compared to the solar car team. Its because they see solar cars as much more sustainable and a bigger investment into the future so naturally they would rather go for that instead.
Where do you find this info?

10/10 should join redback racing

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Where do you find this info?
;)

Though I'm speaking small scale. When it comes to formula one or V8 supercars or NASCAR, etc, the hobby is largely widespread and there is money to be potentially invested that could still gain some sort of rewards, even out of interest.

However all those weekend competitions, there's nothing there and the sponsors are not in large masses. In the case of the link in the OP, this is more of a weekend racing thing and then they take it around Le Mans for competition every year. No-one invests in something that happens only once a year or is just a weekend casual racing car around a track. They need the money or else its up to their personal motivation and interests,

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
;)

Though I'm speaking small scale. When it comes to formula one or V8 supercars or NASCAR, etc, the hobby is largely widespread and there is money to be potentially invested that could still gain some sort of rewards, even out of interest.
In regards to unsw funding

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't disagree there's money to be made but the risk-weighted return definitely would in many of these 'start-up' cases be very negligible that it would warrant categorisation as a hobby rather than an investment IMO. Some of the more experienced teams with a track record (haha see what I did there?) might fare more favourably but if they're seeking funding with a good record, it does make you wonder are tough times ahead or are you paying too much?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I don't disagree there's money to be made but the risk-weighted return definitely would in many of these 'start-up' cases be very negligible that it would warrant categorisation as a hobby rather than an investment IMO. Some of the more experienced teams with a track record (haha see what I did there?) might fare more favourably but if they're seeking funding with a good record, it does make you wonder are tough times ahead or are you paying too much?
Pretty much the point I was trying to make.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)