• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Very simple q but is my answer too wordy? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
A q like "Explain why a magnet slows down when dropped through a copper tube" - 1mk

My answer:
"Faraday's law of induction states that relative motion between a conductor and a magnetic field induces an emf in the conductor equal in magnitude to the rate of change of flux. The induced emf gives rise to a current that is always in a direction such that its magnetic field opposes the changing field that created it (Lenz's Law). Hence, when a magnet is dropped through a copper tube, eddy currents induced in the tube set up a magnetic field that oppose the motion of the magnet, slowing it down"

Can anyone clean this up please?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Yea, I always get worried on how am I going to right this question up, since it is a 1marker all you need is a statement.

So what I would write is "Due to the relative motion between the falling magnet and the conductor tube, eddy currents are produced. These eddy currents which are produce, induces they own magnetic field which oppose the direction of the falling magnetic field , thus making it to slow down"

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)