VIDEO - inspiration, suggestions, venting... (1 Viewer)

y06rach_r

rach.r.
HSC
well hello there all you aspiring video-makers!
i'm doing the HSC this year and my subject are
English Adv
English ext 1
English Ext 2
chemistry
drama
ancient history
senior science
i'm attempting to make a video for my major work and it is SO much harder than i thought it would be!
so far i've spent an entire term fretting and stressing, coming up with useless ideas and basically hoping something would come to me.
i've recently come up with the idea that i'll be running with and actually realising it as a film is extremely difficult.
i really want a high UAI - i need about 88 but i am aiming for 95.

this thread is for all video/film makers - for suggestions, ideas, advise, to ask questions and get inspiration.

good luck to everyone doing Ext 2 English - it's a midn-blowing amount of work and very stressful! but doubtless very rewarding.

at the moment i'm having trouble with lighting - i know that commercial film resolution and quality of film is much, much higher and more expensive to have such great results, but when i film things they are dull and look like crappy home-movies.
does anyone know how to light up the actors/etc without looking like they have a torch shining in their face?

i'm off to experiment with lights......

BradCube

HSC
y06rach_r said:
well hello there all you aspiring video-makers!
i'm doing the HSC this year and my subject are
English Adv
English ext 1
English Ext 2
chemistry
drama
ancient history
senior science
i'm attempting to make a video for my major work and it is SO much harder than i thought it would be!
so far i've spent an entire term fretting and stressing, coming up with useless ideas and basically hoping something would come to me.
i've recently come up with the idea that i'll be running with and actually realising it as a film is extremely difficult.
i really want a high UAI - i need about 88 but i am aiming for 95.

this thread is for all video/film makers - for suggestions, ideas, advise, to ask questions and get inspiration.

good luck to everyone doing Ext 2 English - it's a midn-blowing amount of work and very stressful! but doubtless very rewarding.

at the moment i'm having trouble with lighting - i know that commercial film resolution and quality of film is much, much higher and more expensive to have such great results, but when i film things they are dull and look like crappy home-movies.
does anyone know how to light up the actors/etc without looking like they have a torch shining in their face?

i'm off to experiment with lights......
I too like you do not have completed Idea yet. I have however, found it useful to start storyboarding with the ideas I have had. Although I haven't got very far (since it's holidays) it has been benifical in putting down what I aready see going on in my head.

Lighting is something I will also have to be accustomed with, but don't forget that it may not be the only thing making your video look like "crappy home movies". A lot has to do with the camera you are using (whether it has 3 CCD's), they way it shoots video, the tools you use to be able to shoot this video (eg dolly's, jibs ect), and the also always underestimated value of sound. I have found through my research so far that sound should play a 50/50 role in the production of a video/film. Unfortunatley (and especially in the case of HSC video's) this does not seem to happen.

I hope you're going well with the testing of your lights. Can I ask exactly what you are doing (eg equipment used?), because lighting in many cases can be prohibitively expensive.

I wish you luck with your idea's, and I think I will get back into working on my piece too.

ambidextrouscal

Learning to be Witty
HSC
Well hello strangers. Its also my HSC year, currently my subjects are:
Advanced English
Extension 1
Extension 2
Drama
Modern
Ancient
TAFE - Entertainment.

Also doing Video as my EE2 Major Work. Its been coming along nicely over the past term/holidays. Currently im just doing some very basic scripting.

Lighting is tricky when it comes to low budget filming. I find, the best way, is to get your hands on 2 fairly good spotlights, then use reflectors to balance the light. Just get a couple of sheets of white cardboard, they do the trick just as well as anything else...

cblok

HSC
Uni Grad
Video Skills

Hi, you may have seen my ad for video skills tuition / workshops floating around BOS.

My workshops are 2 phased, the first being the theoretical aspect of making a film - particularly tailored towards EXE2 students. We not only go through that but also ideas / inspirations / log book and assessment strategies if neccessary

The 2nd phase is putting those skills we learnt into action through practical workshopping. This includes workshopping lighting techniques and learning how the camera responds to light. You would be very surprised how good you can get your images to look just by utilising a bit of lighting / camera knowledge.

My prices are $25 an hour and I'm based in Sydney and do travel.

For more info, send me an email to writers_blok_productions@hotmail.com (note that the spaces are underscores) or visit my website www.users.bigpond.net.au/writersblokproductions

Last edited:

ambidextrouscal

Learning to be Witty
HSC
Me sir? I think not... ok well maybe... but thats not the point...
Is this a sign we are going to fail son?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)