• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Visual techniques (1 Viewer)

absorber

HSC
OK, basically in my trial I lost a couple of marks in section one paper one because I used VGAFS techniques in relation to an illustration:
Vector
Gaze
Angle
Frame
Salience
Are these not legitimate visual techniques?
thanks in advance.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
OK, basically in my trial I lost a couple of marks in section one paper one because I used VGAFS techniques in relation to an illustration:
Vector
Gaze
Angle
Frame
Salience
Are these not legitimate visual techniques?
thanks in advance.
I've always thought things like "vector" sound like stupid techniques, but I've never heard that they were 'illegitimate'. Maybe you didnt explain well enough the effect that the techniques had....I don't know.

absorber

HSC
Nah, the teacher (who was apparently in the past a senior hsc marker), he said explicitly they weren't techniques. I just thought, weird, cos our other teacher had always taught us to use those

absorber

HSC
Right, well now I'm doubly pissed off because apparently salience was accepted. Btw, for what it's worth the visual text was a cartoon

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, they're pretty much techniques that I try to avoid, and I only use them if I'm grasping at straws....pretty much like 'diction' in language questions.

However, saying they're not techniques? I wouldn't go that far. But it's not like you can complain.

absorber

HSC
Yeah, they're pretty much techniques that I try to avoid, and I only use them if I'm grasping at straws....pretty much like 'diction' in language questions.

However, saying they're not techniques? I wouldn't go that far. But it's not like you can complain.
Yeah I know but I'm not really sure about other visual techniques I could discuss...Like can juxtaposition be used? Could metaphor? etc.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well cartoons are generally a satire. The image shown are generally in ironic counterpoint to the message in a speech bubble (if any). Like, for one of the practice papers I did, I used symbolism/metaphor of the desk in between the two groups of people as a barrier to belonging. For another cartoon, there's this woman who is 'fatter' than the rest of the skinny girls, and I looked at the facial expressions of the 'group', saying how the similar characterisations of the puffed up lips and the batted eyebrows and pointy nose was a criticism of a society whereby difference leads to alienation, and hence, aims to exclude individuals, rather than include individuals.

I dunno, to me, those techniques seem 'deeper' than the obvious 'colour' 'shading' (unless there's a distinct purpose, and a very good explanation, of course).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)