VO2 max and endurance (1 Viewer)

rink

HSC
Hey, i was just wondering if i could get a little help on VO2 max. I have an exam and this concept will be worth 12 marks. The teacher didnt give us the exact q, but its got sumthing to do with measuring endurance by VO2max testing. Anyway, im trying to write a practice essay atm but im having trouble writing enough on it for 12marks coz theres only like a little bit on it in the textbook. Here's what I have so far:

Endurance performance refers to that in which the act, quality or power of withstanding hardship or stress is displayed. Maximum oxygen consumption/uptake (VO2) is the greatest volume of oxygen that can be consumed by the body during exercise per minute at sea level. It is generally accepted that max VO2 tests are the greatest measure of an athlete's endurance. This is because the more energy is exerted, the more oxygen consumption is needed to exert this energy and this oxygen consumption will eventually reach its peak/threshold due to an increase in lactate levels thereby causing fatigue and limiting endurance because it is no longer increasing.

High maximum oxygen consumption is one of the major determinants of success in aerobic activities eg: cycling, cross-country skiing. The effect of an endurance training program can be measured using one or a number of recognized tests eg: cycle ergometer. The most common test for VO2 involves performing on a treadmill while attached to machines which measure heart rate and ventilation. A computer can then measure how much oxygen is inhaled and exhaled – and an exact calculation of maximum oxygen consumption can then be made. Such testing has been proven to be extremely accurate by confirming logical expectations For example, they have proven that elite endurance athletes (eg: marathon runners) have higher maximal oxygen uptake values, since their oxygen delivery systems have adapted to the demands of endurance training. However, such testing is also very expensive and time consuming. These tests usually involve using advanced laboratory equipment.

(and maybe i should add sumthing about submaximal testing and compare them?)
I dont really know what else to say and the essay is sposed to be like at least double of this. If anyone can tell me what else i need to add and help me on ways to fix the essay i would appreciate it soooo much! Btw, i know that VO2 max testing is extremely effective in measuring endurance, but im not sure why exactly. Can sum1 help me out on this? Thanks sooo much!

Kutay

University
HSC
i did a V02 max thingy on treadmill thingy..... and it said for my V02 max to be like 51 and it said to be very good... but i think i have a history of hypertension in my family so not sure if it is actually 'very good' or not ....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)