• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Vocabulary tips (1 Viewer)

Abtari

HSC
Hey,

I heard that to get good marks in English you need a good vocab.

Is it true?

How am I gonna learn the whole dictionary???

Kulazzi

HSC
yes, but it doesn't neccessarily mean that you have to know the dictionary front to back. You just gotta explain well and use formal words.

malkin86

HSC
not the whole dictionary, just the jargon that applies to whatever it is, like mis-en-scene for films. (what you can see in any given shot that hints at bigger things, eg. family photos on desk as character is being seduced) Ask your teacher, they should be happy to help.

Abtari

HSC
Ok. Thanks guys.

Uhh..do you know what I can do to better understand texts apart from improving vocab? Because I'm finding it hard to interpret some stuff... you know, sometimes the style of a text is new to me or the sentences are so compounded that you don't understand, etc...?

Kulazzi

HSC
Abtari said:
How can I improve my vocab then?
maybe do what the guys above said, I can't help you really but it has led me to give a copy of what my society and culture teacher gave me. It's not really vocab but it's a sheet that shows you how to link words (conjunctions) in different contexts.

Linking Words (Conjunctions)

Linking words help make a text more logical and more fluid. Use them to link ideas and sentences!!!!

Linking Words Which Add or Connect Points

also
furthermore
but
besides
in addition
as well
not only
and
while
additionally
nor
whereas
neither

Linking Words Which Show Contrast or Comparisons

however
in spite of this
whereas
on the other hand
nevertheless
on the contrary
rather
elsewhere
instead
also
alternatively

For example: Music videos are visually creative works of art. On the other hand, they can include some anti-social behaviours. Because of this we should look at each video on its own merits rather than say all music videos are bad for children

Linking Words Which Demonstrate the Effect of a Point

consequently
so
yet
despite this
accordingly
moreover
then
hence
still
however
nevertheless
so as
an outcome of
therefore
because
caused by
though
as a result of

For example: Some people say that today’s youth is sloppy and illiterate. Nevertheless, in many ways they are far ahead of the older generation

Linking Words Which Demonstrate Time

first
when
now
at this point
meanwhile
previously
finally
next
lastly
on another occasion
in the end
before that
then
here
until then
soon
at once
afterwards

Linking Words Which Lead On to Examples And/Or Conclusions

for example
as exemplified by
such as
consequently
for instance
including
accordingly
therefore
these include
as a result
through

For example: Western Sydney has a high amount of air pollution. As a result of this, asthma is prevalent in school age children

Last edited:

Abtari

HSC
Yeah, I think linking is also very important when writing essays and stuff. Apparently BOS calls linking synthesis!?

Thanks anyway!

E

eling

critical material and practice writing incorporating sophisticated words :p

E

eling

oops i meant read critical materials aka other people's critical analysis of texts from studyguides, newspaper etc

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Here is a method I used for a while to improve my already exorbitant vocabulary:

Visit this site once per day, or better still, make it your home page: http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/

It has a new word each day, with the full origins (usually Latin) and the meaning of the word as well as examples of use. You don't need to memorise these meanings of by heart. Osmosis comes in here.

Now, the trick comes to actually applying these words when you converse or when you write. It is easier in writing but still not simple. You see, when you read these words, you essentially pick up their meaning and this allows you to udnerstand them when you hear or see them. however, actually utilising them is more difficult. Don't give up, though!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Here is a method I used for a while to improve my already exorbitant vocabulary:

Visit this site once per day, or better still, make it your home page: http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/

It has a new word each day, with the full origins (usually Latin) and the meaning of the word as well as examples of use. You don't need to memorise these meanings of by heart. Osmosis comes in here.

Now, the trick comes to actually applying these words when you converse or when you write. It is easier in writing but still not simple. You see, when you read these words, you essentially pick up their meaning and this allows you to udnerstand them when you hear or see them. however, actually utilising them is more difficult. Don't give up, though!
yes that is very true...there is no way you can write well without reading well.
I read SMH every morning and as well as giving you stuff to draw on in legal humanities such as legal, mod hist etc., it does wonders for your written expression.
would rep slide rule but he's a bit too arrogant....

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
cherryblossom said:
would rep slide rule but he's a bit too arrogant....
I would rep you but you're a bit too judgemental. :(

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
look mate. just read a lot. but read books you like. start using it as well. its basic.
well that is what i did. :D i just read heaps. but there is aftermath. if you like glasses improve your vocab. ;)

Abtari

HSC
Yeah, I guess there is no shortcut to these things. I'll have to read heaps, look up words I'm not familiar with and then apply these new words in my written, spoken English.

Thanks heaps guys!

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
i never read books that much as a kid. but my vocab is still okay? it's not EXTREMELY limited as if i'm monosyllabic. but i watched tv a lot. haha i dunno i used to have Foxtel. and now i'm doing 3u english, which i thought i'd be struggling in english altogether but i'm doing just fine.

`watching interesting doco's might also help
`reading certain magazines

i could be wrong though :D

Abtari

HSC
True, you can derive good ENglish not just from novels and books but also from TV, newspaper and the like. Good point!

Tuna

HSC
N/A
You find an english tutor to improve your expression...i think there are some university students that offering free tuition(great thanks to all who volunteered)

Abtari

HSC
How much does the average tutor charge??

Yeah, I think many of my classmates are considering taking tuition in English, mainly because it's a subject that definitely counts no matter what you do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)