Wagga Wagga (1 Viewer)

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
Sydney uni have done it again...put an even worse spin on my having to attend clinical placements during my 3 month holidays. 6/7 weeks of this will be spent in WAGGA WAGGA. I'm a city girl, i've been to country areas maybe twice in my life (Dubbo when i was 9 and somewhere else i think).
Who knows what there is to do when i am not working down there?
Does anyone originally come from there or still live there?
this is how ignoramus i am, i found out where i was going and then had to look up where it was.

any helpful input would be appreciated

Skeeta

HSC
oh spew!

I'm praying to god for westmead hospital!

6/7 weeks? what are you doing for accommodation!?

BTW i know nothin about Wagga at all

ps. do you get paid at all during ur placement?

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
I dreamed of better things for post 1000

lol paid pfft no. because its a regional placement they pay for my accomodation which is in a guest house and my flight down. I picked places in sydney but volunteered for an out of state one with my friends which they got in tassie and i got left with one person who i dont really know in wagga. I did RPA last time tho and i will probably get a good choice fo rthe next 20 weeks of clinical i have to do over the next 2 years.

Skeeta

HSC
i'm not lookin forward to it at all.. at least we have the clinic on campus which means less travelling, but i know i've gotta do a few stints out of town

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
yeah i think we do too but not till sometime next year semester 2 and possibly yr3

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
I live there... its not that bad, pop. about 60 000, but there isnt a lot to do. 3hrs from canberra, 1 1/2 from albury/wodonga... But I'm leaving next year, Have fun!

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
well i live a further 200km west of wagga, in a place about half the size. wagga is the biggest city for a looooooong distance.
and because of your degree, wouldn't you have to do a rural placement anyway? don't feel you've been so hard done by...
sorry to say it, but it sounds sad that you haven't really been beyond city areas before... i don't mind the city for a few days at a time but a whole life there with no country at all??!!
well it doesn't matter what i say but you will think of it as a hole, compared to whereever you are currently. It has quite a few of the chain stores (sportsgirl, supre, jeanswest etc), a few good pubs, clubs etc.. maybe not so good when uni isn't in.. but drinks are hella cheaper than the city!
its not that small really, but i guess if its not what you're used to it might not be that great. plus if you don't know anyone there... aah well. i'm sure you will still be alive when you get to the end of your placement
ps. nobody really wears akubras and chews on straw like is the country stereotype...

shortie_89

HSC
N/A
oh u poor thing, 6-7 weeks... how about 16 years.. lol
i can't believe you've only been to the country twice. that's insane.
wagga's not too bad i'm sure u'll meet a few friends and be able to go out to the few good clubs n pubs that there are here.... as chooette (oh btw chooette i know u... i think u no me 2 lol) said, canberra is only a few hours drive away so if you get really bored and desparate just pop over there for a shop or a concert or wotever
remember there is a major uni down here (CSU) so the students SURELY find somethin to do to ease their boredom (i.e. hit the piss... lol)
good luck with it!! you never know you might like the country
and as if we don't wear akubras?!?!? come on...... :)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i love going out in wagga... love ramano's (although it is the aggie/rugby pub!!)

for a city girl you will prob find it small, but you'll be working a lot and as someone said u have to do it as part of your course... don't stress - wagga is a good town for your rural placement, considering the town is about 65 000 there will be plenty to do in the hospital.. have fun and make the most of it!!

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
When i posted that first one i was on a downer cos i really wanted to go to brisbane. but i think it will be good to go. I have been to the country more than twice but not for extended amounts of time. We'll just have to see what happens.
Beccabum- no we dont ...its not compulsory but might have to because of job shortages

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
shortie_89 said:
and as if we don't wear akubras?!?!? come on...... :)
yeh well this bloke that i met from sydney was all serious when he asked me where was my akubra... as if it was the law that you had to or something.. i was kinda freaked out... meh.

and katie123 - if u get the chance, go to a b&s! be prepared to get yukky!!

phunk_e

HSC
I live very close to wagga. for me wagga is great coz i live in a small country town. i hav a medical family so i kno that the ppl at the wagga hospitals are really nice! country ppl tend to be friendly!
As for stuff to do there are enough places to shop, cinema (tix r cheap 2 compared to the city- only $7) a fair few pubs but only one actual night club and its only open on saturday nights, but you will still find places to hav a good time. however coz its uni holidays the young ppl % will decrease.
Hope you enjoy your country experience!

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
beccabum said:
yeh well this bloke that i met from sydney was all serious when he asked me where was my akubra... as if it was the law that you had to or something.. i was kinda freaked out... meh.

and katie123 - if u get the chance, go to a b&s! be prepared to get yukky!!
whats a b&s? lol
i dont think of the stereotype country image as akubras etc ..i dont have a country image.
i'm actually looking forward to it now... it should be good

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Katie123 said:
whats a b&s? lol
Booze and Sex (B&S) parties. It's kind of like a weekend rave for young country people but instead of rave music it's more country and everyone drives their clapped out bush utes there to compare who has the bigger aerial and bullbars that the Police will defect their car for on the way out. Oh and you gotta get dressed up for it.

Boring is what you make it, there are bored people even in Sydney, there are times my friends in Brisbane are bored, it's not a state of body it's a state of mind.

phunk_e

HSC
haha b&s actually stands for bachelors and spinsters
B&S balls were originally for all single men and women to attend, hence the name. but overtime thay hav turned into whats mentioned above.
Now you basically get dressed up, then get your clothes ruined, ppl rip your clothes and put food dye all over you. you pay a fee at the begining and that covers food, alcohol and usually a free stubby holder or somethin. You end up sleeping with some random in a swag in the back of an above described ute. so yeh.. fun for some.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
phunk_e said:
haha b&s actually stands for bachelors and spinsters
B&S balls were originally for all single men and women to attend, hence the name. but overtime thay hav turned into whats mentioned above.
Now you basically get dressed up, then get your clothes ruined, ppl rip your clothes and put food dye all over you. you pay a fee at the begining and that covers food, alcohol and usually a free stubby holder or somethin. You end up sleeping with some random in a swag in the back of an above described ute. so yeh.. fun for some.
lol sounds interesting... i like the alcohol bit..might skip the sleeping with the random in the ute tho :p

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
ok i'll give you the down-low on b&s' from someone who attends them and likes them!!

yes you will get a lot of utes there, many of which are categorised as 'b&s utes' - these are the ones with big aerials, lights, stickers, bullbar etc... but there are many small cars there too..
usually you pay about $90-$110 for the night.. sounds expensive, but you get all your drinks (usually there's beer, vodka, rum, bourbon... and sometimes other things too, you get given a cup and can go back to the bar all night for re-fills), food (night and brekky), a band (or two!), and then u get stuff like hats/stubby holders/stickers etc.. depending on the b&s that you are at

as for sleeping with a random in the back of a ute - well yes that's always a possibility if you want to but more often than not i've gone back to my own swag so it's not like everyone hooks up with someone...

as for dress - they say it's black tie, but anything you wear will get ruined so don't wear anything good!! most girls make a skirt that goes to the ankle out of any fabric, with a singlet top (obviously not in winter), with jeans underneath and boots/boat shoes etc.. blokes just wear cheap black pants with a white shirt and bowtie (which may just consist of electrical tape)
it's tradition that most people will have food dye at a b&s, which you either put in your drink or in your mouth and spit/throw all over eachother - sounds gross but it's pretty funny to wake up covered in food dye and see the state of your clothes.. just a word of warning - don't put food dye on people you don't know cos some get a bit pissed off!!

and if you're a b&s virgin make sure you tell everyone cos they will give you presents!!

seriously - a b&s is pretty feral and a lot of people don't like them, but they are there for country people to catch up (when u live far away from your mates u can't just go out for coffee to catch up), and i'd say don't judge a b&s untill you go to one - be open minded, be prepared to get lots of food dye/alcohol all over you but most of all meet new people and have fun!!! (as you can probably tell i love them!)

there was a b&s in wagga last night (26/11) but there aren't really any in that area for the next few months... the only ones i know of are gular on 10/12, then a couple in january (walgett and tullamore - but those are both a fair way from wagga)

Srixon

HSC
B&S are for cowboys and cowgirls u just gotta have the ute with the big bullbar large aerials, alot of aerials r just for decoration who the heck has 7 uhf or cb radios in there ute just a waste of cash oh and dont forget the stickers

but hey wagga isnt to bad bigger than i live which is about an hour away, lucky u dont have to go to some town that only has a few people then there woudl be something to complain about

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i'm not complaining ...it does sound interesting now . i think that i will enjoy myself. i was just annoyed cos i didnt get to go with my friends.

ballerinabarbie: i get it. it sounds fun. do you know of any that are directly in wagga from end of january to the beginning of march

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Katie123 said:
ballerinabarbie: i get it. it sounds fun. do you know of any that are directly in wagga from end of january to the beginning of march
nah.. they are pretty big things to organise and hence wagga only has one a year hosted by the ag college (the one last weekend) so you'll probably miss out.. good fun if u ever get the opportunity though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)