WebCT Vista (1 Viewer)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
More like WebCT Fucking Shit (WebCTFS for short).

What the hell were staff on when they decided to use this piece of dogshit? Why do we have to pay fees when the university clearly shows it has money to waste by purchasing a licence to use fucked up software that doesn't work properly and has a moronic name?

Three of my subjects this semester use WebCTFS and well, thankfully two are just for the discussions. The third, even more thankfully has all data available on the public compsc server (so I don't really need to use it at all except to check notices).

WebCTFS looks like it's trying to mimic another Learning Management System that I've seen, but in a poor, failed manner.

Here's to the christening of WebCTFS. Fucking shit. :)

(I decided I'd vent my anger at the shit, rather than download something equally as shit, like Simple Plan and listen to them).

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hmm. I agree. It's slow (maybe it's just my comp). It took me 10 min to get from the to the actual Course Homepage. argh! :(

iamsickofyear12

HSC
It's not too slow for me since I have a fast computer and fast broadband. There is a bit of a pause though which is a bit annoying. And I get a security alert and a popup blocker alert every time it loads aswell.

From what I have seen so far it's no different to webCT last year so what is the point of having a new one.

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
Haha, what are you bitching about, us unfortunate students who decided to endure the self-inflicted pain of summer session had to put up with all the teething issues of Vista. You had to hold your breath as to whether it actually recognised you as a student. There were all sorts of weird ticketing errors.

I think the reason it takes a while the first time you use it is that it loads some Java stuff into the cache (hence a java security warning popping up on UoW computers).

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Why did they send us that CD? I would think most people already have the software to run WebCT Vista. If not it's all free to download anyway.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Excuse me but I found the guide to netiquette to be quite invaluable.

Moonshadow

~*Almost Here*~
HSC
poloktim said:
More like WebCT Fucking Shit (WebCTFS for short).

What the hell were staff on when they decided to use this piece of dogshit? Why do we have to pay fees when the university clearly shows it has money to waste by purchasing a licence to use fucked up software that doesn't work properly and has a moronic name?

Three of my subjects this semester use WebCTFS and well, thankfully two are just for the discussions. The third, even more thankfully has all data available on the public compsc server (so I don't really need to use it at all except to check notices).

WebCTFS looks like it's trying to mimic another Learning Management System that I've seen, but in a poor, failed manner.

Here's to the christening of WebCTFS. Fucking shit. :)

(I decided I'd vent my anger at the shit, rather than download something equally as shit, like Simple Plan and listen to them).
I agree. When I heard last year that we were going to have WebCT Vista this year, I had nightmares imagining that it had something to do with Windows Vista :p (thankfully not the case, though it may as well be)

What was wrong with the old WebCT? It was far easier to use, and it looked a lot nicer too (at least for CSCI subjects). But WebCT Vista (aka WebCTFS) on the other hand... Well, I'm not going to get started on that, I'd be ranting for a while (I'd like to vent my anger too, but I don't think anyone needs to hear it) :eek: But why did they feel the need to change WebCT? I really don't think there was any problems with the old one... I suppose I should consider myself lucky that this session only 2 of my 3 subjects have WebCT sites, and one of those two has its own site anyway and hence doesn't really use WebCT :)

So yes. WebCTFS is born :p

HSC
Moonshadow said:
I agree. When I heard last year that we were going to have WebCT Vista this year, I had nightmares imagining that it had something to do with Windows Vista :p (thankfully not the case, though it may as well be)

What was wrong with the old WebCT? It was far easier to use, and it looked a lot nicer too (at least for CSCI subjects). But WebCT Vista (aka WebCTFS) on the other hand... Well, I'm not going to get started on that, I'd be ranting for a while (I'd like to vent my anger too, but I don't think anyone needs to hear it) :eek: But why did they feel the need to change WebCT? I really don't think there was any problems with the old one... I suppose I should consider myself lucky that this session only 2 of my 3 subjects have WebCT sites, and one of those two has its own site anyway and hence doesn't really use WebCT :)

There were some problems that bothered me with the old one, but none to really warrant all the changes (Especially seeing as the changes don't even always correspond to problems).

Some things I've noticed:

* My posts on WebCT not being marked as new ones that I should read. This is good, as I don't really need to be alerted on the front page that I've made a post.

* The plethora of sample quizzes to make sure that I know how online quizzes work. This is bad, yes I fucking get it already. On that note, lecturers who have set the dates wrong on quizzes are also annoying. One of my subjects has quizzes which open in September last year, and as such will sit there till I get around to doing them (Which I intend to leave till after I've learnt the material), so the alert is effectively useless for that subject, gg.

* The forum seems a bit better organised (I'm finding it easier to check new posts, etc, but it's difficult to really judge at this stage as the real test is towards the end when it's packed full of crap)

* We've been informed that there are a lot of new collaborative opportunities built in to this system, which were not implemented in the earlier one. While I'm yet to use these, I expect that they will be somewhat useful (Though in a somewhat broken, not quite on the money way, as usual). Filesharing among groups and whatnot using this could be quite useful, and I'm all for that if it means that group work is simplified for all the people who can't manage to check their email, or whatever else. Maybe having it all in one central place will work better (That said, of course I'm not holding my breath).

* Yes, it's ugly. I was hoping that the layout, colour and so on options available would help with this, but they don't. I'm also bothered by the fact that if you turn off the extra shit on the main page the main box in the middle can not be expanded to fill the empty columns. Also, I'm bothered by the fact that I can't turn off campus links and campus announcements, not that they really bother me on their own, but if the best UoW can manage for each is "Here's a help site for WebCT" and "lol we need to restart WebCT once a week because it's shit", then I really don't need to see them every time I log in.

* Popup checking, alerts, whatever, all these give me the shits. I also dislike it complaining about my browser. There should be a "Yes, yes, I know, fuck off" option. I'm sure if there is a malfunction due to the browser I'm using then I'll know about it and will change browser accordingly. I don't need to be nagged every single time I log in.

* Its amazing session detection gives me the shits. I never used to have to manually log out, but now I do or it logs me out automatically as soon as I log in next time (Assuming I haven't closed and re-opened my browser since the previous time, which I often don't).

* I can see the scheduling of the weekly restart being inconvenient, though that's not really anyone's fault but my own.

All in all though I think it's a good update, helps keep the content delivery tools in line with University standards and all that. On top of that, I'm mighty impressed with the fact that this comes at a time where most the staff I dealt with almost had a grasp on the old system, so now there'll be all the hassles again where they struggle to perform the most basic of functions with the new system. Ahhh, these are the days indeed, eh?

Scanorama

HSC
Moonshadow said:

Wait, Moonshadow, I just realised you are a chick AND you are doing computer science! What subjects are you doing this session?

Back on the topic, the new WebCT is shit, the old one is much better. Every single time when I log into it, the stupid browser check window pops up and whinge about my browser isn't good enough for it. Apparently it supports Firefox 1.0 but NOT Firefox 1.5 and above, stupid.

Then with the discussion board, whenever I finish reading a message, close the message window, the main WebCT window always refreshes, but sometimes it takes a long time to refresh.

The lecture note design is simply crap. When you click on the lecture note, it always ask you to download the first lecture note, regardless the current week.

Its a fuck up program, bring back the old WebCT.

HSC
Scanorama said:
The lecture note design is simply crap. When you click on the lecture note, it always ask you to download the first lecture note, regardless the current week.
lol, that one would suck, thankfully I haven't had that happen yet. I wonder if that's got something to do with how the coordinator sets it up? I'd really like to think that nobody would *really* pay as much as they must have for such a shitty system.

Scanorama

HSC
ogmzergrush said:
lol, that one would suck, thankfully I haven't had that happen yet. I wonder if that's got something to do with how the coordinator sets it up? I'd really like to think that nobody would *really* pay as much as they must have for such a shitty system.
Yeah there is a way to get around with this stupid design. When you go into the lecture note section, some *smart* coordinators would put a title as the first entry, such as 'Welcome to CSCI204/MCS9204', instead of placing first week's lecture notes on it. It's very annoying everytime when I click on lecture note then the download box appear asking me to download the same lecture notes. For some of the subject, I just get it off banshee '/share/cs-pub' to aviod using WebCTFS.

jflores

HSC
does anyone know how to get files from banshee onto your home computer?

santaslayer

HSC
Haven't had any significant problems with it so far. Use dialup and it doesn't seem to be too bad. The java program seems to load instantaneously. If you're having problems then use the UoW computers. I know, easier said then done.

The sending of the CD was a waste of money though. Stupid UoW can't budget and spend properly.

I have four subjects on WebCT Vista this session. Most of it's been downloading notes and shit. Haven't actually tried posting. I like BoS posting more.

jflores

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
use sftp.

on your ssh client, there should be an option to file transfer.
im so dumb, I couldnt find where to change directories :D

Thanks

Moonshadow

~*Almost Here*~
HSC
Scanorama said:
Wait, Moonshadow, I just realised you are a chick AND you are doing computer science! What subjects are you doing this session?
Yes, I'm a chick and doing CompSci :p I'm doing CSCI124, Math121 and ITCS206 this session.

Scanorama said:
Yeah there is a way to get around with this stupid design. When you go into the lecture note section, some *smart* coordinators would put a title as the first entry, such as 'Welcome to CSCI204/MCS9204', instead of placing first week's lecture notes on it. It's very annoying everytime when I click on lecture note then the download box appear asking me to download the same lecture notes. For some of the subject, I just get it off banshee '/share/cs-pub' to aviod using WebCTFS.
Wait... banshee has a purpose other than submitting assignments? :p How do you get to '/share/cs-pub', and what's there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)