Weight lifting saftey tips...Plz add (1 Viewer)

Freakstyler09

HSC
Safety tip 1:

Don't lift weights that are too heavy for u, gradually ease into it.

Freakstyler09

HSC
never continue your routine, if you feel dizzy, as there is not enough blood running through your head, instead it's going to the muscle that ur exercising.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
breathe out when you lift, breathe in when you lower the weight.

control your breathing.

dry your hands if they become sweaty, no one likes a crushed foot/back/chest/skull.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
dont work out immediately after eating or you will puke, give yourself at least an hours gap (or more depending on what/how much you ate).

and yeah this stuff is kinda obvious..

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
have a spotter if you can

wear a lifting belt for squats and deadlifts

have proper form in all exercises

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
pretty sure belt isnt required if you have a squatting rack and a spotter, and neither is it required with dead lifting, if you drop the barbell it'll land on the ground, and if you're holding it right it wont land on your foot.

proper form, yes to that.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC

Zozo6969

HSC
fuck a smith machine it doesnt give u the correct technique because it has very limited up and down motion. just lift a little lighter

Azurie

HSC
This thread is full of broscience and ego.

friction

HSC
Use the smith machine, if u don't have a spotter.
Or a wieght that you can handle and dont push urself past failure.

I dont train with a spotter and i can tell u dont go for the extra rep like i did and end up with a heavy barbell sitting on ur chest and trying to have to get it off without being able to push it up.

untouchablecuz

HSC
squats:

chest up at all times

drive up with your hips (don't push at the ground with your feet as though you're on a leg press)

maintain a straight back (no arc in the lumbar spine)

keep your hands as close togethor as you can so that the barbell sits on muscular mass rather than bone (notice that the back muscles/deltoids form a little "pocket" when close togethor)

dont use your thumb in the grip of the bar (i.e dont use the same grip as you bench press). this puts unnessecary pressure on your elbows and shoulders. rather, place your thumb over the bar instead of under it

ensure you squat into a position where your hips are paralell to the floor (or deeper). this relieves pressure off the knees

lifting belt will help with lumbar support. use a belt that has a regular width throughout

look at a point somewhere on the floor. do not look up (try squatting whilst looking at the ceiling, you can't)

deadlift:

ensure the barbell follows a vertical, straight line path

chest up

maintain a straight back

deload the barbell

generally:

buy (or download) rippetoes instructional videos (5 hours worth) and his two books. i downloaded them recently from a torrent on TPB

don't lift more than you can. think realistically, you arent going to go from curling 12.5kg dumbells to 15kg dumbells in 2 weeks (i.e. 20% strength gain)

don't be a hero

don't get your back into it regardless

this isnt really a safety tip, but avoid using the smith machine. its too restricting (e.g. denies the natural arc in your bench) and you fail to develop stabilisation muscles. xkg on smith machine =/= xkg free weights

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
lol what difference does it make whether you're deadlifting or some-other-lifting?

either way, you should breathe out as you lift, im pretty sure holding your breath while you lift will cause your head to explode or something

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
lol what difference does it make whether you're deadlifting or some-other-lifting?

either way, you should breathe out as you lift, im pretty sure holding your breath while you lift will cause your head to explode or something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)