Well that was a load of crap... (1 Viewer)

<METALHEAD>

I can't believe that test. If i wanted to be tested on history i wouldve done history, not physics. The test had virtually no actual physics in it at all. Apart from that, several of the diagrams and graphs given for different questions were plain wrong (e.g. the coil and magnet q. where coils were meant to be able to swing as a pendulum, yet diagram showed them connected at TWO SEPERATE POINTS, thus not allowing them to swing as a pendulum). Then there was stupid questions like the multiple choice astronaut question. Where it said to state the time on the clock on Earth, AS SEEN BY THE ASTRONAUT. Which was a stupid question, light travelling at c would mean that the astronaut would see the time as having passed less on the clock, whereas what millions would have put it is what the time that had passed was viewed as in the two different frames of reference, in which case MORE time would have passed on the clock on Earth. And these weren't the only things, we had a graph from a datalogger that could not possibly have been true, and other things.

That was possibly the most garbage test i have ever sat, and i cant believe that an physics HSC exam would a) have more history than actual physics, or b) have a number of mistakes in it. Its ridiculous.

Whos with me?

Last edited:

Bannanafish

HSC
uh things connected at 2 points can still swing
dataloger was fine
relativity is a thought experiemtn

<METALHEAD>

Things connected at 2 points CANNOT swing as a pendulum in the direction indicated in the question. Datalogger wasnt fine. I know it was a thought experiment, but it was a stupid one.

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
how can things connected at two points no swing, they can
let us observe this...

get a stick
tie both ends with string and tie it to..i dont know another stick
push one stick
see it rock
observe rocking
take that stick
hit urself in the head

jokz

nah its possible

<METALHEAD>

Ummm, Take ur experiment. Now, does the stick swing lengthways? No. Not like a pendulum motion anyway. That was the direction that was relevant to the question. (Make sure both ends of the stick are tied to different points.)

Bannanafish

HSC
yes it does dude

go draw diagram, draw 2 points
draw 2 parallel lines from them, then do it at different angles

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
yes...omg yes it does
think about it..just go out and conduct this experiment :p
its all good mate
exams over

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
hey guys metal head is being anal....it doesn't swing "like a pendulum" but of course it bloody well swings

Bannanafish

HSC
thats true, but its close enough

the solenoid : ---
will swing around making a shape like the oakley symbol

<METALHEAD>

Yeh, sorry. I wasnt meaning to get into any sort of issues. It DOESNT swing like a pendulum as the question said... But yeh, exams over, i thought it was crap, but its gone, done.

Affinity

HSC
I think everyone knows the real reason for changing physics exam into a history test.

kaseita

to make it more englishy?

hsc physics is soooo stupid
trust me, phys at uni is so much better - the way it should be! you actually learn the math, concepts and the detail behind the things you learn!

smeyo

yeah its a pity the physics course changed from that, it used to be much more maths based and then was labelled as harder and more respected, then they changed it to crap stuff, just remember who did and said what, where is the mathematical concepts, not many left at all....except the ones we are given without great depth of why, 3 and 4unit maths helped show understanding of mechanics and motion....

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
haha

see i prefer the new course cos im shit at maths....

I will probably get no more than 40% in the 2 unit maths test, yet im going for hopefully (fingers crossed) a high band 6 in physics...

It suits me for sure! lol

But yeah. I do agree that there is a lot of shit in the physics course and understand why its shit compared to old, but im just glad it is cos it suits me! haha

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
the thing is why didnt they change the name of the course as well along with everything else....

Bannanafish

HSC
the thing is you need maths to be good at physics.... now all the english people do physics and end up becoming lawyers, using physics for their uai

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)