We're All a Bunch of Whiners! (1 Viewer)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
As the HSC has begun I've noticed a huge number of posts mentioning the "corruption" and "stupidity" etc. of the BoardOS and the HSC system, and I was just wondering what people think an alternative is?

They do IQ style exams (as a few people have suggested we do these here) in the US, and they're ridiculous because they don't show effort throughout the year as the HSC does or even study. I took their test without having studied or learnt their subjects etc. the day after I got there last year, totally jetlagged, and got 2 marks below a $4000 scholarship. Also, it was all multiple choice.

The current HSC system has been improved from the old one, allowing 50% of the mark to come from throughout the year. Of course the system isn't perfect, but I think it's the most reasonable way to do it.

Okay, I've had my rant, so now I'll ask my question. For all of you who feel like the process is stupid and corrupt, what are your CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions for improvement?

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
To be honest I don't mind the system too much, but I think there could be a few more alternative pathways such as an IQ test for those who fall short on a UAI or something, without having to wait a year before they can start at university and having to go through a whole load of other crap.

I just think the HSC is a little too harsh, some exams and subjects more than others. If you put me in charge though, I honestly couldn't think of a better system other than to lessen the work load (less units or something). But if that happened it may become even more competitive to get into uni anyway.

HSC
N/A
I think content spread over more years (or at least, type of content), better training for teachers (instead of throwing a totally new english syllabus at them when they're under-trained to teach it), and more emphasis on setting exercises that require understanding of content (however this is somewhat related to the amount of time there is to teach content).

*There is such a jump between yr 7-10 and Yr 11/12 studies that it seems unreasonable to expect so much of students in so short a time. Often, little is truly learnt in Yr 11, and students spent most of their time getting over the shock of the sheer depth and size of content they have to cover.

*HSC english teachers have been complaining for some time now that they don't feel they've have enough training to teach some of the new HSC english syllabi (such as EE1 module "Postmodernism"). Uncertain teachers = uncertain students = lower marks and pressure to get those marks up. It's the Board's responsibility to make sure that their teachers are properly trained and equipped to deal with new syllabi - they screwed up here.

*Due to the sheer amount of content and the fact working this hard is still quite 'new' to many students, there's a lot of pressure to learn by rote and particulatly in english, students are writing about various concepts and using multisyllable words that they don't really understand. In many cases they are trying to mimic uni-level work but with only a minute portion of the learning time! In my mind this is ridiculous and the Board either needs to extend the HSC year by 6 or 12 months so that everyone other than NSW's elite schools can learn it, or change the syllabus a little so it's not so darn broad!

T

Testpilot

I just hate the fact that English will drag my UAI down, and it is not needed for my uni course. I want to do Engineering, I'm good at maths and sciences, but i never get good marks in English (i do advanced). So i think that maybe there should be a practical English subject that focuses on grammar and spelling etc and focus how to write text types such as reports etc.

beststreet

HSC
N/A
but how would could you live in society, not knowing the metaphorical effects of a physical journey? or how important one mans 200 yr old speech still is? or how some characters shakespeare adopted represent powerplay through ye olde english text? all these important facts, vital to our daily lives.

no society would accept you, thankyou

HSC
N/A
Testpilot said:
I just hate the fact that English will drag my UAI down, and it is not needed for my uni course. I want to do Engineering, I'm good at maths and sciences, but i never get good marks in English (i do advanced). So i think that maybe there should be a practical English subject that focuses on grammar and spelling etc and focus how to write text types such as reports etc.
See, technically that stuff is already meant to be covered to a competent level in the yr 7-10 syllabus. Obviously there should be some progression between that and HSC level, but I don't think it needs to be such a large jump as it is.

I can't recall what I had to study in Yr 10, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as hardcore as Colonial/Post-Colonial Studies (Heart of Darkness, Wife, The English Patient) and this other yr 11 assessment where we had to look at the Matrix/Ursula le Guin/something else. I did get through it, but remember wishing they'd started us on some of basics earlier. Things like "narratological reading" and "post-colonialism" and "anti-hero" and "meta-fiction" don't even appear in most Yr 10 student's wildest dreams, I think :p

Although, a more 'practical' english course could be interesting, a bit like the way there's General Mathematics. Someone mentioned elsewhere on the forums about the possibility of making such a course compulsary for those not doing Eng Adv/Std, but not making it compulsary for inclusion in calculation of UAI... a little torn on this as people will really low literary skills could fail this uni and still go onto tertiary studies where you often NEED good literary skills, but hmm.

Last edited:
T

Testpilot

glitterfairy said:
See, technically that stuff is already meant to be covered to a competent level in the yr 7-10 syllabus.
But the thing is my English teacher from year 7 to year 11 was lazy, and all he did was come into the class room, put a video on and then read the newspaper.

tennille

HSC
The problem with many HSC subjects is that they can be rote learnt. I reckon science subjects are quite easy to memorise. The unfortunate thing is that at uni, you actually have to understand the concepts taught to you. Many questions in the HSC are directly from the syllabus, and many textbooks (eg. Excel physics) provide students with information following extremely closely with the syllabus (including the dot points that require students to do their own research). I must admit that the textbook is great,, but it doesn't give students the opportunity to research themselves, which is sometimes necessary at uni.

RingerINC

BBoy OG Loc Gangsta
HSC
The only real change i would make is have english not a compulsory subject and just have the uni courses that require the knowledge have english as a unit that must be done to get into them.

The idea of an english grammar test for the hsc... That honestly sounds pretty retarded... And spelling? Seriously, so we're gonna have a test at the end of the year that says:
how do you spell Cat
Where should the full stop go
what symbol goes in the box.

I mean you can be tested on the different text types, such as a report and so forth, but basing the entire syllabus on the basics of english isn't a good idea.

Another solution would be to change the style of the english syllabus, get away from the prepared essays and ask a different style of question. But this would also create the problem of the teachers not being well prepared enough, which we already have. And no matter what you changed the course to, people would bitch about it.

So basically, leave it like it is.

yal14h

HSC
It could be a lot worse, and noone's forcing you to do it.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
I don't really have a problem with the system at all. I was definately overwhelmed by the workload throughout the year though, but that could be just me... maybe if they make the HSC a sort of 2 year course, like with Pathways, where you do half your subjects one year and the rest the next year, because Year 11 is pointless anyway...okay so maybe that wouldn't work.

yal14h

HSC
glitterfairy said:
well, if you want to go to uni...
Exactly- if you want to go to uni, then thats your personal choice. Nobody's got a gun to your head.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
RingerINC said:
The only real change i would make is have english not a compulsory subject and just have the uni courses that require the knowledge have english as a unit that must be done to get into them.

The idea of an english grammar test for the hsc... That honestly sounds pretty retarded... And spelling? Seriously, so we're gonna have a test at the end of the year that says:
how do you spell Cat
Where should the full stop go
what symbol goes in the box.

I mean you can be tested on the different text types, such as a report and so forth, but basing the entire syllabus on the basics of english isn't a good idea.

Another solution would be to change the style of the english syllabus, get away from the prepared essays and ask a different style of question. But this would also create the problem of the teachers not being well prepared enough, which we already have. And no matter what you changed the course to, people would bitch about it.

So basically, leave it like it is.
I definitely think there should be a unit on basic English skills. Sooooo many students on here don't have a clue; they're unable to use basic grammar, spelling, or even the right words.

Brie-is-Me

HSC
I think it's wrong how in a lot of subjects, it isn't about demonstrating understanding or really knowing the course content, more memorising the textbook and reciting it in the exam.

GORDO1515

HSC
I think that they should just make English non-compulsory because really how does the course ensure that you can speak and use English effectively. I think that they should make a test to ensure you can actually understand English (I know this wouldn’t be easy, but even if it was just the basics it would be worthwhile) not the concept of the journey and, as suggested, they should just make the adv course a requirement for uni courses that have similar idiotic subjects. I believe that I am adept at writing and using the English language but I’m totally shit at the course and I have to accept that because nothings changing by Monday.

maskd

HSC
beststreet said:
but how would could you live in society, not knowing the metaphorical effects of a physical journey? or how important one mans 200 yr old speech still is? or how some characters shakespeare adopted represent powerplay through ye olde english text? all these important facts, vital to our daily lives.

no society would accept you, thankyou
That's not the point, the point of the English course is to learn how to do the underlying things to do with the content, not to remember the content itself. The English course is designed to give us an analytical way of thinking, as well as to learn how to appropriately interpret things.

There are underlying reasons for doing the English course, but I believe that the positive aspects of it are being clouded by the sheer quantity of the amount of work, and the fact that the texts that we have to study are rather boring.

Everyone take a look at the module and elective statements, you'll see that after studying the various modules, we should be competent in various things, sure they may not be appropriate to everyone in their choices in life, but the fact that we learn there is more to texts then just the content, we are subconciously able to see this in many more things, in other words we are able to ANALYSE things better.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I agree with Tennille's comment that it's all rote learning--at uni, it's about understanding concepts more than anything else. I also agree with maskd that English was meant to give you a set of skills which you could use later in life. I have found that learning to analyse pieces of information (i.e. sources and journals and research and whatnot in uni), and using it to support your point and overall argument was crucial to my getting HDs both in my major assignment last semester, and my interview report this semester (note: this is pharmacy, so it's not "just" any old humanities course).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)