Westinghouse and Edison (1 Viewer)

el_manu

HSC
I have decided for my physics research task to focus on the competition between Edision and Westinghouse.

I don't understand how to answer the first question which states, "assess the impact of specific advances in physics on the development of technologies relevant to your chosen topic".....in my case my chosen topic is the competition between edison and westinghouse.

Are the advances in physics that relate to my question, advances in Lenz's Law, Faraday's current stuff, Back EMF and eddy currents, Magnetic Flux,

And could I say how these advances result in development of DC generator, AC generator, Transformers, Electric Chair? (Can anyone add to this list of new technologies created as a result in improvements of the above physics in relation to the Westinghouse Edison competition???)

I am also a bit confused to how Lenz's Law and the rest of the physics I mentioned, allowed the creation of the technologies I mentioned.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
So you can say the main technological development as a result of their work in Physics and engineering involve the distribution of energy using electrical systems.

You can say that electromagnetic induction, knowledge of magnetic flux and Faraday's Law led to the development of transformers, Knowledge of the production of eddy currents led to more efficient transformers, etc. Without transformers we can't use AC.

As for DC, you could have used your other topic before on AC and DC here, to mention developments like superconductivity, etc. Tbh, you could have used all this stuff for your topic on AC and DC, and cut out all the hard parts of AC and DC I mentioned before. Literally saying "for normal power distribution, AC is best for reduction of losses, however if possible to implement superconductive wiring, then that would be more efficient either way. Due to limitations on superconductivity as a technology, at the moment AC is most efficient.", is alright but word it better of course.

But yeah idk just work around it.

Have a go at the assignment and see how you find it. Don't go out of syllabus too much. There is plenty to talk about in the syllabus (possibly you should consider understanding what superconductivity is and what limitations it has (don't go into detail though of how it works as its too early now for you)). Just apply your knowledge and you'll be fine :)

Any way I have to start studying for an exam lol.

el_manu

HSC
Hey, what knowledge in physics allowed for construction of AC and DC generators, would it just be the knowledge in magnetic flux, faraday's law, torque, Lenz's law, Eddy Currents and Back EMF.

An could someone please give a brief explanation of how the bold led to the development of transformers and generators.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Hey, what knowledge in physics allowed for construction of AC and DC generators, would it just be the knowledge in magnetic flux, faraday's law, torque, Lenz's law, Eddy Currents and Back EMF.

An could someone please give a brief explanation of how the bold led to the development of transformers and generators.
Here's some stuff you may find handy: http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/electricmotors.html

For transformers and generators, the concepts of Magnetic Flux, Torque and Lenz's Law are required to explain their use and optimisation of transfomers can be achieved through the reduction of eddy currents in the iron core. Just depends on which part of operation, which situation and which process is happening (DC generation, AC generation or AC transformation) as to how a concept applies here.

Basically, transformers work off Faraday's Law, which states that the EMF produces is equal to the negative of the rate of change of magnetic flux over time. Now in transformers, we have to minimise the production of eddy currents (an energy dissipation of transformers), which is done using a soft laminated iron core which minimises the production of these eddy currents. Elaborate more on this in your assignment.

With AC and DC generators, work is done to a shaft providing a torque applied to the coil of wire which is moving relative to a magnetic field. This provides an EMF as a consequence of Faraday's Law and depends on the torque applied to it. Again, elaborate on this in more detail in your assignment.

You could also elaborate on AC induction motors if you like, but they work a bit differently.

el_manu

HSC
Thankyou, that's a great explanation to get me started and wrap up this thread....

thanks for all the help anomalousdecay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)