What are the hardest subjects in year 11 & 12? (1 Viewer)

periodmami

HSC
By hardest, I mean the subject that has the highest amount of content and from personal views.

Comment down below..

idkkdi

HSC
4U English. I can't relate to anyone wanting to do 4U English.

*actually 4U English doesn’t seem that bad now.

Last edited:

periodmami

HSC
4U English. I can't relate to anyone wanting to do 4 units of English.
I'm doing English extension next year :/.
Ultimately I am extremely thrilled to have the chance to do it.
is it even harder than extension maths?

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
I mean people will say that difficulty is based on each individual and all but there are some things where you can safely say it is difficult. The most difficult subject statistically is 4u Maths and 4u English is obviously the second most difficult.

studygirl118

HSC
Definently extension 2 maths is the hardest, followed by physics and chemistry. Extension English quite hard too.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
At least in my day it was always the 4U's and Physics. Not sure if that still holds true.

As others have pointed out though it's all relative.. you might find extension <language> extremely difficult because you have zero inclination towards it (in which case you may want to reconsider doing it for HSC).

blyatman

HSC
N/A
As others have pointed out though it's all relative.. you might find extension <language> extremely difficult because you have zero inclination towards it (in which case you may want to reconsider doing it for HSC).
Completely agree. I found 4u and physics to be a breeze, but 2u adv english was struggle street for me. IMO the hardest subjects are those that involve writing and no calculations, so it really depends on each person.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Are you Anthony Henderson by any chance?

Im actually being serious

In either case 4u aint easy :rolleyes:
Lol, nah. I had to look up who that was. Nah I'm not a lecturer, nor am I that old.

Personally, I found 4u to be straightforward. If you think about it, there's really nothing new in 4u maths (with the exception of complex numbers). The content is more or less straightforward calculus, and there's no other new concepts. E.g. If you understand parametrics in 3u, then conics should be easy to understand since you're just applying the same concept but to different curves. The main difference in 4u is that you get harder problems, but the theory itself isn't very demanding. A student who does 3u and has very strong fundamentals shouldn't find the 4u content to be that much harder than 3u.

Aside from that, I was just trying to illustrate that the definition of hardest subject is very dependent on the person. I probably spent more time and effort memorising my essays in 2u Adv english than all the time I spent studying for 4u maths, physics, and chem combined. To me, english was a subject whose purpose is to see whether you can BS the teacher into believing what you wrote, and was also a subject where your mark was strongly influenced by your relationship with the teacher (especially at my school, where if you were on their good side, they're more likely to give you a good mark), so the effort-to-reward ratio was just piss small. So in my books, english takes the cake for hardest subject haha.

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, nah. I had to look up who that was. Nah I'm not a lecturer, nor am I that old.

Personally, I found 4u to be straightforward. If you think about it, there's really nothing new in 4u maths (with the exception of complex numbers). The content is more or less straightforward calculus, and there's no other new concepts. E.g. If you understand parametrics in 3u, then conics should be easy to understand since you're just applying the same concept but to different curves. The main difference in 4u is that you get harder problems, but the theory itself isn't very demanding. A student who does 3u and has very strong fundamentals shouldn't find the 4u content to be that much harder than 3u.

Aside from that, I was just trying to illustrate that the definition of hardest subject is very dependent on the person. I probably spent more time and effort memorising my essays in 2u Adv english than all the time I spent studying for 4u maths, physics, and chem combined. To me, english was a subject whose purpose is to see whether you can BS the teacher into believing what you wrote, and was also a subject where your mark was strongly influenced by your relationship with the teacher (especially at my school, where if you were on their good side, they're more likely to give you a good mark), so the effort-to-reward ratio was just piss small. So in my books, english takes the cake for hardest subject haha.
Yep I agree

lawfanatic

HSC
History Extension is pretty difficult in terms of your major work and then understanding historiography and philosophic concepts.

periodmami

HSC

Hahhaha thank you for the contribution, English definitely does sound hard. Did anyone you know do drama or art? Are they considered 'easier'?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Hahhaha thank you for the contribution, English definitely does sound hard. Did anyone you know do drama or art? Are they considered 'easier'?
It's been more than a decade so I don't really remember what my friends did (even if I did, the syllabus might have changed), but IIRC I think I had a few friends who did art. Either way, the difficulty is dependent on the person. If I did art, I would probably struggle to get a Band 5 even if you gave me 5 years to do it. Content-wise, all the courses should be equal: 2u of Art should have the same amount of content as 2u of Adv Math. How much time you need to put into it to get a good grade is entirely dependent on each persons strengths/weaknesses. Some students that find Drama/Art really difficult might find 2u Adv Maths extremely easy, and vice versa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)