What comprises your degree? (1 Viewer)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
What sorts of things make up your IT/CS degree?

Logic, probability, programming, history, operating systems? Also what sorts of aspects of IT/CS does your faculty offer you to study?

T

timbk2

UTS is more business oriented IT... graduates are more suited to the consulting type roles than the programming/technical type roles which usyd and unsw are more suited for. We do programming subjects like all IT courses, but nowhere near as crazy as usyd or unsw in terms of difficulty.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
timbk2 said:
UTS is more business oriented IT... graduates are more suited to the consulting type roles than the programming/technical type roles which usyd and unsw are more suited for. We do programming subjects like all IT courses, but nowhere near as crazy as usyd or unsw in terms of difficulty.
Because UTS/Usyd/UNSW are the only universities around? ;)
In all seriousness though, I'm now glad I didn't choose UTS. I think business would be the most mundane thing to study. :(

ogmzergrush said:
Blood, sweat and tears. Mostly tears though.
I don't know, your face looked pretty red when you were asleep on the window in the Informatics building. Maybe there is blood? :)

T

timbk2

business is what you need to know if you want to get anywhere in your career. unless all you want to be is a code monkey

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
timbk2 said:
business is what you need to know if you want to get anywhere in your career. unless all you want to be is a code monkey
What's wrong with code monkeys? :( :( :( :(

T

timbk2

nothing... if u like it, then go for it. But there isnt much room to move around .. in terms of your career. There are some good programming jobs out there now, but i dont think this iwll be the case in 5-10 years. With programming getting easier and easier by the year (eg. .NET framework), there will be less need for professional programmers. There is also the outsourcing factor.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
timbk2 said:
nothing... if u like it, then go for it. But there isnt much room to move around .. in terms of your career. There are some good programming jobs out there now, but i dont think this iwll be the case in 5-10 years. With programming getting easier and easier by the year (eg. .NET framework), there will be less need for professional programmers. There is also the outsourcing factor.
Which is why now, more than ever, double degrees/majors in different areas (still of interest) are important. Especially in the ITCS industry.

I'm focusing my other interest in a language, however there's plenty of other focuses. Engineering/CompSc/IT/Mathematics/Law/Commerce/Education/Arts/Creative Arts/Health/Science etc.

S

Shuter

In my tutor for Information Systems Principles we did a personality test..... That was the entire tute, and it related in no part to the course.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Mine comprises of a little history/humanities based computing (namely informatics), a little business based (although not until next semester), especially on the database and data structure side of things, and a maximum amount of coding and computer science related disciplines (although coding is crap at the moment until further on in the degree).

foxydena

HSC
At uws its logic & statistics, marketing, training, programming, e-business, web development, information systems, databases using SQL, communications, business, general information technology.

all comprises of my degree.

ziggyboy

HSC
timbk2 said:
How about a research-oriented career? My flatmate finished his CS degree from UOW in 2000. He now works for Canon Research and he actually does software development for printers. The printer his team is working on will come out in 2008. What else is more fun than getting access to cutting-edge technology? I don't want to just manage technology, I want to MAKE technology. That's where the real fun's at.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
ziggyboy said:
What else is more fun than getting access to cutting-edge technology?
Hoola Hoops and Yo-Yo's?

dAmAtA_cHiP

HSC
im doing a business and computing double, which i think is a good mix, the only downside being that we do more of a broad coverage. on the computing side, i've studied programming, algorithm design&analysis, artificial intelligence, communications, graphics, databases, and software engineering to name a few. business is mainly managment (im doing business administration), but have also covered basic law and accounting.

alot of people are taking computer science as a double with something else, which is best imo. plain ol' computer science seems too limiting for me, i hope my business knowledge will prove to be valuable in future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)