What course in which uni do most Ruse graduates go to? (1 Viewer)

D-BOSS

HSC
N/A
I know that some Ruse students do medicine but are they the majority? I notice most Ruse graduates do medicine at UNSW. But why medicine? Why UNSW? Isn't USYD ranked higher in medicine? I'm gathering current and ex Ruse students and what they're interested in/doing right now.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure that while many ruse students do medicine, the majority don't.

The primary reason most choose UNSW over USYD medicine is because UNSW offers a guaranteed direct undergrad degree. Unless you get 99.95, getting into USYD postgrad med isn't guaranteed since you need to sit the GAMSAT's. Also, USYD med is one year longer.

As to why many ruse students choose medicine (and also law), the reason is pretty simple. They choose those courses because it's a high cut-off, so it's prestigious. Maybe their parents forced them to, maybe they felt pressured, maybe they want the bragging rights and feel respected, or maybe they felt like it's a waste of their ATAR if they do anything else. Either way, the vast majority of them do it because it's prestigious. The proportion that have a genuine non-ATAR-related interest in them is a tiny fraction of the cohort - you wouldn't expect it to be vastly different to the proportion of students that are interested in say, teaching, or science. If you dropped the cut-off of med/law to 70, I guarantee you most of them would be jumping ship to the next highest course. Many students that do med (or law) do it for this simple reason, even though they themselves might believe that they're different and not part of that "prestigious" crowd.

Once met someone who said they really wanted to do a combined med/law degree. What a coincidence right? Wanting to combine 2 degrees that just so happened to have the hardest entrance requirements. Like c'mon, don't kid yourself lad, you don't actually want to do it, no matter how much you try to convince yourself otherwise.

FYI all the top ruse kids in my year who were on the IMO team went on to do math (or a math-related degree) at uni because they were genuinely passionate about it, so not all the bright ones go on to do med.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I was told there is an unofficial limit of 38 each year for Medicine for Ruse students. So if, in a given year, 55 are good enough to be accepted, only 38 of them will make it into Medicine.
That's what I heard, anyway.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I was told there is an unofficial limit of 38 each year for Medicine for Ruse students. So if, in a given year, 55 are good enough to be accepted, only 38 of them will make it into Medicine.
That's what I heard, anyway.
Is that for a specific university, or altogether? And is the limit only for James Ruse, or do all schools have such a limit?

idkkdi

HSC
Is that for a specific university, or altogether? And is the limit only for James Ruse, or do all schools have such a limit?
I believe he's referring to UNSW Medicine. No other schools have this limit as they don't have the scoring ability to reach above 20 people for medicine at UNSW consistently.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I guess it must be the UNSW. Most people, esp Ruse students, would aim for UNSW as 1st choice for undergrad-entry Medicine.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
What do you mean a guaranteed entry? Don't you still need to sit the UCAT to get into medicine at UNSW?
By guaranteed, I just mean that they can jump straight into med, rather than gambling for postgrad at USYD.

idkkdi

HSC
What's the point of going to Ruse? Wouldn't you have a higher chance of getting into UNSW Med from a private school or something since 38 is the limit?
Because you have a higher chance of getting that ATAR at Ruse. 1. Environment pressure. 2. Better cohort performance.

idkkdi

HSC
If you rank top 5 at another school, will the cohort bring you down?
Top 10-20 private schools, I doubt you would have a problem getting into med with a top 5 rank. But, the thing is, chances are the top 5 are all 100% scholarship students from yr 7 with selective scores high enough to get into Ruse.

See if you can get in first. You're overthinking too soon.

quickoats

HSC
What's the point of going to Ruse? Wouldn't you have a higher chance of getting into UNSW Med from a private school or something since 38 is the limit?
This quota may be just speculation? There’s nothing on the net explicitly stating it.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
^very bold of you to change school based on some random unauthenticated post on this forum lol.

idkkdi

HSC
I already got into SCEGGS Darlinghurst- it's a small school but their rank is consistently 10-20
^very bold of you to change school based on some random unauthenticated post on this forum lol.
As long as the social effect isn't much, I would go SCEGGS. But then again, I would go for the connections rather than med.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Nope literally no impact besides selective schools having more pressure to do well. My friend went to a rank 300+ school and still got 99.75. Just up to you to decide your atar :)

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Nope literally no impact besides selective schools having more pressure to do well. My friend went to a rank 300+ school and still got 99.75. Just up to you to decide your atar :)
are u another case of those guys?

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
I went to a school around rank 50-60, a catholic school. Everyone helped each other a lot so it was a supportive environment with good teachers in some subjects :)
Wow, regardless of the school, amazing work.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
You don't sit the GAMSAT, you sit the UCAT
From what I recall, UCAT is for UG admissions to most other universities, whereas GAMSAT is required for USYD postgrad med. Regardless of whatever it's called, it's not quite the focus of my point lol.

Tribunal

HSC
From what I recall, UCAT is for UG admissions to most other universities, whereas GAMSAT is required for USYD postgrad med. Regardless of whatever it's called, it's not quite the focus of my point lol.
lol, yeah. You definitely know more than me, but I was just confused cause my sister did UCAT like recently and said you need to do well in UCAT and HSC to get into medicine. idk honestly

blyatman

HSC
N/A
lol, yeah. You definitely know more than me, but I was just confused cause my sister did UCAT like recently and said you need to do well in UCAT and HSC to get into medicine. idk honestly
Yeah your sister is correct for the vast majority of med students. For undergrad programs (which is most of them), universities require UCAT, and it's what med students will sit. The usyd program is slightly different in that it's a postgrad degree (ie after u graduate with another degree first), and they require gamsat rather than ucat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)