• We need YOU to help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and trial papers on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

What do I transfer to? (1 Viewer)

Leon_V3

HSC
N/A
Right now, I am in B Science (Advanced Mathematics) (Honours)/ B Engineering (Honours) and I am absolutely hating it.

My subjects for this term have been:
Engg1000
Math1141 -> Math1131
Phys1121 -> Math1081 -> Dropped

I do not want to be suffering through 4 or even more years of physics - which makes an Engineering career very unattractive, nor do I want to pursue lots of maths. However:
Science is not interesting nor is it employable
Arts is interesting, but is way to unemployable
Commerce is really vague and boring, plus I do NOT want to work in those fields
Law and Medicine I will NOT be able to transfer nor do I like these fields much.

This gives me very little options as to what I can pursue, so should I either:
- Suffer through engineering and the physics associated with it, or
- Transfer to Computer Science, which is on the employable and interesting side but most likely bad at, or
- Transfer to Arts and waste loads on money on something that is useless, or
- Just get a stupid full time job at coles or something (because trade and stuff I find uninteresting)

quickoats

HSC
What drew you into engineering in the first place? If it was the ability to create/innovate, maybe architecture or design computing could be the thing for you? I kinda also hate my degree atm so feel free to PM me and rant haha.

Leon_V3

HSC
N/A
I think what drew me to engineering was my reasonable ability in maths, potential to innovate, people saying Physics gats better at Uni (which was utter bullshit because I got sick of it after 2 weeks), and PTSD from Preliminary SDD (which drew me away from Comp Sci)

Leon_V3

HSC
N/A
I am not even handling 2 subjects at the moment because of how uninterested I am in maths, and how messed up Engg1000 became due to corona. Workload wise, 3 subjects of STEM was far too much.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
First year subjects are always going to be the most vague and boring. Not that senior subjects become better, but at least they're a tad more specialized. Keep in mind that uni just gives you a basic knowledge of many fields, so that you can decide (if you're lucky) which one you'd like to go into for work. Engineering in real life is very different to engineering at uni.

Leon_V3

HSC
N/A
Maybe, but I really hate physics, and I find the workload far too intense so I doubt it ia worth it.
Since physics is the base for all engineering (except software), I am certain that nobody would employ me since I doubt I will get credit or above. That said, the other degrees (arts and science, maybe commerce is saturated too) is worse.
Also, I feel like professional engineering is going to be very boring - engineering design and things do NOT happen in Australia, so the only disciplines that are worth taking is civil. That, I find no interest in.

I no longer have a strong interest in anything (only slight interest in computer science and social sciences) and no strong abilities which makes me ask why the f*** I wanted to go to uni. Regardless of what I do, I am getting out after a single degree (no honours unless engineering) and never come back to uni, so that restricts my possibilities. (I am not that academically bright - I think my tutors and school carried me in HSC. Either way, I ain’t being an academic)

blyatman

HSC
N/A
You'd be surprised how little physics you actually end up doing in engineering. Also, most engineers don't take physics units; it's mostly people in combined science degrees that take them. Overall, nobody cares what you get in a specific subject. As long as you get a reasonable WAM, it's fine.

Leon_V3

HSC
N/A
nah, at UNSW, Phys1A is needed and is a prerequisite for like 80% of units in Mech and Civil (I know that isn’t the case at USyd)

Electrical I think every uni needs Phys1B or equivalent (but I doubt it is really a prerequisite for many subjects. Still, Phys1B is scary enough, and UNSW requires Higher Physics 1B which I think is bulls***) so I may as well transfer to USyd

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
nah, at UNSW, Phys1A is needed and is a prerequisite for like 80% of units in Mech and Civil (I know that isn’t the case at USyd)

Electrical I think every uni needs Phys1B or equivalent (but I doubt it is really a prerequisite for many subjects. Still, Phys1B is scary enough, and UNSW requires Higher Physics 1B which I think is bulls***) so I may as well transfer to USyd
Computer Engineering requires only standard Phys 1B and it's not a prerequisite for anything else.
There are quite a few ELEC courses required though.

Leon_V3

HSC
N/A
Computer Engineering requires only standard Phys 1B and it's not a prerequisite for anything else.
There are quite a few ELEC courses required though.
I know, but if I am doing computer engineering (4 years), I may as well save myself from all the trouble of the final year, and just do computer science (3 years).
Also, I immediately knew that I won't be able to pass Phys1B (let alone Higher Phys 1B) as soon as I finished my first lab in Phys1A (This immediately told me physics isn't my thing).
Personally, I no longer think staying in uni for more than 3 years is worth it, unless it is engineering or psychology (both requires honours), or med or law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)