what does proxy mean? (1 Viewer)

Person

one of them
wot does it mean if im behind a proxy server?

wots the difference between proxy and my ip?

Huy

HSC
N/A
proxy = another computer you connect through, to access servers (e.g. proxy server for your internet, gaming, masking your ip, etc)

-- what difference is there?
behind your proxy, your ip will be *their* ip
your *real* ip however, is assigned by your isp.

so, if you're using a proxy (say if you're having connection probs with the net and you want to use icq, you can use a proxy server)

there are other uses, but basically, it will allow you to access websites, icq, irc, whatever (as a means to bypass your firewall and what not)

all in all, if you dont need one, then you shouldn't worry about it.
unless of course, you're up to some shifty business *looks around*

in summary,
what does it mean if you're behind one?
it means that you're able to use the things that you're currently using, e.g. if you use a proxy for browsing websites, then it'll let you surf the web.

how is that any different to your original/real ip?
well, if your ip is blocked, or if you're behind a firewall that doesnt allow you to connect to X site, or Y service, then you can usually configure your application to run via a proxy server.

hope that clears it up

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
good description

u cant play certain games on proxy too...

when ur behind proxy u have to set and configure every one of ur programs u need to access the internet with (eg : internet explorer, icq ...)

Huy

HSC
N/A
playing games via proxy is only possible for the 'simple' games (if you know what i mean), we're not talking multiplayer games or anything like that, e.g. battlenet wc3, all the rest.

'when ur behind proxy u have to set and configure every one of ur programs u need to access the internet with (eg : internet explorer, icq ...)'

--> then you can usually configure your application to run via a proxy server. :)

it's a pain in the butt, especially when the wingate closes hehehe
or if you get discovered :p

"some guy in australia is bouncing off my high-speed net connection!"

also, i should note that there are 'lag'times associated with proxies, the faster the proxy, the faster the response time (obvious enough), so if you're using a public proxy (common ones etc)-- then expect to have lag times ranging into the seconds.

if you have your own, or know about other 'activities' that could provide you with bncs or other means of re-routing or bypassing/masking your host for 'legal' purposes, then go for it and you can have ping times in the milliseconds (as if you were requesting things in real time :D

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
lolz wingate i tried it once and im not using it again

fukd my computer up some registry shit my comp wouldnt start up

btw who uses public proxy's here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)