What if i got 3~40% today? (1 Viewer)

whitemelon

HSC
I fuc*ed up my exam, I've always been bad in 3u.

My internal mark was 50~55% in 3u maths
and now i got around 3~40% today which I am 100% confident that
no more than 40% nor less than 30%.
my school's last yr's ranking was around 150th.

What sort of band will they give it to me?
I hope they actually give me any band.......

Was my first exam that I thought I'm dying.

I worry a lot about my 3u band.
But I have to worry about my Chinese background now.........
anyway plz give me any advise about the band that I will get.

sting24

2 Radical For U
HSC
...... theres no point putting urself down wots that gonna acheive. how the hell do we know what band ur gonna get. silly question

Mihalaki90

HSC
Don't worry man, if you got 40 percent your looking at around a 30-32/50. Just pray the whole state marks are low an the lower they are the higher u go!

kickapoo

HSC
i guess im the same as you, i didnt even attempt questions 6 and 7... my internals are like averaging 40s...

0xXx5

HSC
kickapoo said:
i guess im the same as you, i didnt even attempt questions 6 and 7... my internals are like averaging 40s...

If it makes you guys feel ne better i am the exact same as kickapoo lol even what he did today

fartx2

HSC
youre better than me. i actually got a really low mark in my trials (CSSA)

luckily, i do 13 units, so 2 unit maths and 3 unit maths dont have to count

HSC
Who cares what mark you get, you're still better than all the 2unit people.

Providing you got a very good mark on your 2u paper (which you should).

Humga

HSC
I got around 60%

What do you guys think? What mark/band do you think i'll get?

Henry16

HSC
I reckon i might be pushing 20% maybe if i'm lucky, two exams in the same day aretoo hard i spent my whole 3 unit exam thinking about PE

FairyFloss

HSC
Even though 3unit was my last exam i feel so depressed because i did so bad in it. It doesn't help haven't consecutive days of exams (19, 22, 23, 24, 29, 30, 31).
Everyone is like "omg you're so lucky you get to finish early" but i really don't care when i finish as long as i do well and get into my course.
I know there's nothing i can do now but i can't help but mope =(
And what's worse is the fact my parents have sent me to maths tutor since year 4 and all the money and effort (from me and them) gone down the drain in a 2 hour exam.
I rocked maths in my junior years, but does that count for anything now? no!

looneycubstar

^^....
HSC
FairyFloss said:
Even though 3unit was my last exam i feel so depressed because i did so bad in it. It doesn't help haven't consecutive days of exams (19, 22, 23, 24, 29, 30, 31).
Everyone is like "omg you're so lucky you get to finish early" but i really don't care when i finish as long as i do well and get into my course.
I know there's nothing i can do now but i can't help but mope =(
And what's worse is the fact my parents have sent me to maths tutor since year 4 and all the money and effort (from me and them) gone down the drain in a 2 hour exam.
I rocked maths in my junior years, but does that count for anything now? no!
yeh my maths didn't go as great as i planned it to. i've been to tutoring for a while too, but it really doesn't come down to this exam.. u've done heaps through the heap anywyas..
and i think it's just like a post exam thing..

like i was feeling alright about my maths exam yesterday
then this morning i just was stresssing about how i missed this question and how i didn't do that.

but maths is just a small amount!!
for u it's all over and done!
u can't help it but worry, but worrying won't help it!!

twilight1412

HSC
=)
whoa lulu your here? lol

^ yes i support what she said theres nothing you can do about it now =P

just sit still and hope for the best

btw =)
personally i think some of the questions were rigged =)

pyrrha

resident fury
HSC
N/A
I can't help but wonder what the hell were you doing Ext1 maths for if you got under 40% in that exam...

Look, seriously, best of luck for the other exams - I hope you cane the other subjects so your Ext1 doesn't have to count.

stewmazza

HSC
pyrrha said:
I can't help but wonder what the hell were you doing Ext1 maths for if you got under 40% in that exam...

Look, seriously, best of luck for the other exams - I hope you cane the other subjects so your Ext1 doesn't have to count.
actually pyrrha your slightly off the mark there and heres why:
he will end up doing well after "scaling" or "moderating takes affect". this is the process where marks are adjusted tio ensure that each student achieves closer to the average. Of course those getting 100 will not be penalised :) lol! and those gettin 1-2/84 won't go terribly well, but students such as myself and the kind person who opened this thread wiill be given a boost thanks to scaling, and will end up with a mark not dissimilar to someone getting, say, low 70s/84. Gotta love scaling lol! :):)

blackbetty69

HSC
pyrrha said:
Aren't you just a bundle of pompous delight?

2 unit feels easy for having done 3 unit lots of courses won't even look at you unless you've done it.

And before you say "if you can't handle 3 unit how can you be capable of the uni course?" maths is something that lots of people take a while to warm to. Remember doing your multiplications for the first time? How hard did they feel? Oh but thats right, you didn't find even the Ext 2 exam hard enough. "Even questions 7 and 8 were not challenging."

Here's a "challenging" question for you. What do you think good old Johnny Swift was thinking when he said "Nothing is so hard for those who abound in riches to conceive how others can be in want."

Last edited:

pyrrha

resident fury
HSC
N/A
stewmazza said:
actually pyrrha your slightly off the mark there and heres why:
he will end up doing well after "scaling" or "moderating takes affect". this is the process where marks are adjusted tio ensure that each student achieves closer to the average. Of course those getting 100 will not be penalised :) lol! and those gettin 1-2/84 won't go terribly well, but students such as myself and the kind person who opened this thread wiill be given a boost thanks to scaling, and will end up with a mark not dissimilar to someone getting, say, low 70s/84. Gotta love scaling lol! :):)

You misread my post. The Extension 1 exam was such a joke that if someone gets under 40%, I can only wonder why they were in Extension 1 in the first place. (Also, if you look at the scaling reports for Ext 1 before 2001, they push the average up as well.)

I don't want to sound harsh. I'm just sick of schools pushing students into maths subjects that they can't handle. Most schools have maths staff who aren't trained in maths - meaning that the maths education in lower years suffers, and when it comes to year 12 students just don't have the background.

Last edited:

pyrrha

resident fury
HSC
N/A
blackbetty69 said:
Aren't you just a bundle of pompous delight?

2 unit feels easy for having done 3 unit lots of courses won't even look at you unless you've done it.

And before you say "if you can't handle 3 unit how can you be capable of the uni course?" maths is something that lots of people take a while to warm to. Remember doing your multiplications for the first time? How hard did they feel? Oh but thats right, you didn't find even the Ext 2 exam hard enough. "Even questions 7 and 8 were not challenging."

Here's a "challenging" question for you. What do you think good old Johnny Swift was thinking when he said "Nothing is so hard for those who abound in riches to conceive how others can be in want."
I'm just pointing out that if there are students achieving below 40% raw marks in that exam, perhaps the school shouldn't have entered them in that course in the first place. Particularly not when the exam was well below par for a Extension 1 exam. There was no binomial theorem (unless you count question 1a, which was the expansion of (a+b)^3 - year 10 students are taught that); the projectile motion question was fairly standard; the inverse trig and SHM were both straightforward. This exam was not a difficult exam - on the contrary, it disadvantaged the top end more than it was beneficial for the lower end.

The same is true of the Ext2 exam. Questions 7 and 8 were NOT challenging for the average 4U student, provided they had enough time left.

I never said that students taking maths below Ext1 level are incapable of university. That would indeed be a damning indictment of our society. How about you stop putting words into my mouth and read the message of my posts? There are too many students studying maths at a level to which they should not be stretched.

Last edited:

blackbetty69

HSC
Well, if you read mine you would understand that what I am trying to say is that there is in fact a reason why people go into 3 unit with that sort of level of knowledge. Everyone has their own reasons / strategy to tackle the hsc as mentioned before. For example, ext 1 happened to be my 13th unit. I was crap it in comparison to my other very strong units and could have dropped it easily. BUT, i struggled through and will do extra work before unit next year to prep myself for engineering. Each to his own.

Besides, all this, the poor bloke's come in pretty devo about his mark, wondering how he'll go and you've just told he shouldn't have even bothered... nice and tactful there.

To white melon:
Mate, just chill. What's done is done and you just take things as the come now. I know its a bit cliché but UAI is hardly the end of the world. If your innovative in what you do after school, you'll do just fine. I've never spoken to an ex y12 who has a desire to make something of their life that has been met with brick walls because of their UAI. They've all landed on their feet in some way or form. So, chill.

P.S - Pyrrha, no one cares how easy you found it...

pyrrha

resident fury
HSC
N/A
blackbetty69 said:
Well, if you read mine you would understand that what I am trying to say is that there is in fact a reason why people go into 3 unit with that sort of level of knowledge.

P.S - Pyrrha, no one cares how easy you found it...
I avoided all the arts-based courses at university because I knew it wasn't my strong point. Surely it makes sense to work in a field you're good at.

P.S. really? I know five people who do.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)