What is easier Buisness studies or Biology (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi everyone I'm struggling to chooses between these 2 subjects for my HSC. I would like to know which one is about remembering stuff as I'm very good at remembering things, also which subjects has less essays as I'm a bit weak on writing essays.

Thanks 😊

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
yes business is easier by far but there's two long response sections worth 20 marks each, bio also has long answer questions but its not a dedicated section and they're worth far less marks like 8-9 or smth. in terms of content tho, business is a million times easier to digest and remember, but bio is more interesting if that's smth worth considering for you

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The information provided above summarises both subjects pretty well. I think it would also be a good idea to elaborate on what each subject entails, which will hopefully enable you to make an informed decision.

Business Studies:

The Business Studies course provides students with opportunities to develop an understanding of how theoretical and practical aspects of business combine. Students study contemporary business issues by exploring case study material and apply their knowledge to problems encountered in the business environment. The Preliminary course constitutes the basis for the HSC course since you explore the fundamental concepts associated with the world of business (such as business management and business planning, which happen to be 2 of the 3 topics that make up the Preliminary course). The HSC course involves building upon the foundation of knowledge that you gain by completing the Preliminary course, with reference to 4 areas of business (each developing into its own topic), being operations, marketing, finance and human resources. You will have the opportunity to study the role, influences, processes and strategies of each, as well as an effectiveness component, which is only relevant to the human resources topic).

The ability to retain relevant information in addition to gaining a thorough understanding of the content and case study material is important in terms of maximising your performance in this subject, given that questions are directly linked to the Business Studies syllabus. If you believe that this is an aspect of the subject that might suit you, then you may wish to consider taking it.

Additionally, it is important to note that reports and essays in Business Studies are common. In the HSC exam, a response in report format is required for Section III and a response in essay format is required for Section IV (each of which are out of 20 marks). If you believe that you cannot improve your essay writing, and would not be willing to attempt to improve, then you may wish to reconsider taking this subject.

Biology:

Essentially, students taking Biology get to learn about variations in the structures and functions of organisms and gain an understanding of the effects of the environment on living things. Students examine concepts such as reproduction, inheritance patterns and the causes of genetic variation. They also explore applications of this knowledge in biotechnology and genetic technologies.

While I did not take Biology, I have had a look at the HSC exam format for this subject, and it differs from that of Business Studies in the sense that there are no reports or essays (i.e. no 20 mark questions) and that there is a focus on short answer questions, with an apparent maximum mark allocation of 9. If you feel that this would relieve the pressure that you may be subject to in relation to writing reports and essays as part of Business Studies, then you should consider taking Biology.

As mentioned above, it is important to consider your own personal study interests, i.e. whether you would be personally interested in learning about business or science as these can guide your decision and increase the chances of you enjoying the subject that ultimately decide to choose.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)