• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is meant by 'personal issues'? (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I've been writing a whole bunch of practice essays for Drama and on the whole I'm doing fine, but what exactly does it mean when a question asks you to discuss personal issues?

eg - How does American Drama go beyond the conventions of realism in order to confront the audience with social and personal issues?

I thought it meant perhaps the personal experience of the playwright and how that has influenced the work, but I don't know.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

tanguyen

HSC
Issues and concerns are meant to go together, so personal issues are basically what the playwright/practitioner is thinking, how they've been affected and how they've responded.

But I remember my teacher saying how personal is actually YOU as the responder, so that confuses things. Just talk about both things and that'll be enough for the markers to blow their load.

leeha

HSC
I duno, i could be totally wrong but im thinking social issues would be issues relfecting the society situations..i duno..like war
and personal issues would be something like conflicts within self? personal thoughts of the playwrite and maybe the characters and how the play brings to surface the responders personal issues and thoughts?
thats my take on the question anyhow :)

tanguyen

HSC
All the issues and concerns can intertwine with each other. I also meant that like, if the writer came from a divorced family, he can put that into the play as well. In addition, the writer's thoughts on war could be reflected in his play if you know what I mean

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)