What kinds of work experience/volunteer work have you done? (1 Viewer)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering for you future med hopefuls like myself, what kinds of work experience and volunteer work have you done? The more you do the better right, but it is more about the actual experience you take away from the work as opposed to just saying you done this, this blah blah and give like a shopping list of things.

For me, I spent a week at the Westmead Children's hospital in my HSC year but it was organised by myself and not through the school. I'm also a registered blood donor and helped organise an event with Paramatta Council that had an emphasis on youth.

Also do you guys plan to do other stuff when trials finish?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Just wondering for you future med hopefuls like myself, what kinds of work experience and volunteer work have you done? The more you do the better right, but it is more about the actual experience you take away from the work as opposed to just saying you done this, this blah blah and give like a shopping list of things.

For me, I spent a week at the Westmead Children's hospital in my HSC year but it was organised by myself and not through the school. I'm also a registered blood donor and helped organise an event with Paramatta Council that had an emphasis on youth.

Also do you guys plan to do other stuff when trials finish?
Clint :wave:. For work experience, I spent a week at a Medical Centre organised by my school. I'm also involved in the Australian Red Cross Blood Donations. Does SRC, student leadership team, peer support, peer tutoring etc. count too? :).

And yeah, I'll definitely be doing other 'stuff' when trials finish. Not sure what 'stuff' :haha:.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Clint :wave:. I'm also involved in the Australian Red Cross Blood Donations. Does SRC, student leadership team, peer support, peer tutoring etc. count too? :).

And yeah, I'll definitely be doing other 'stuff' when trials finish. Not sure what 'stuff' :haha:.
well i suppose it does to an extent, but its always nice to see other things (not that i've done many myself).
I'm still trying to decide "what other stuff" can I do after trials. I would love to go for a day or two to a private hospital. Also You know anyone whos been to like meals on wheels? Thats like another option. So is the salvation army.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
well i suppose it does to an extent, but its always nice to see other things (not that i've done many myself).
I'm still trying to decide "what other stuff" can I do after trials. I would love to go for a day or two to a private hospital. Also You know anyone whos been to like meals on wheels? Thats like another option. So is the salvation army.
Oh, I've never heard of meals on wheels haha. And yeah, salvation army would be a good starting point.

Interdrama

#wang
HSC
How was work experience at the children's hospital? Because I did mine at Westmead Hospital, and it was just boring.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
dental assistant
medical receptionist for multiple physicians...
wards person PT for springwood hospital... lasted a month, what a prick of a job
computer salesperson, harvey norman (current)

Resident

HSC
Technical officer at a hospital pathology lab

Set up the hospitals pathology results system to accept electronic results transfers

Reaserch asistant to a pathologist in anatomical pathology with two publications listing me as a coauthor

Volunteer research asistant within the school of biological sceinces at Usyd

Volunteer at Redfern community center

Co-produced a poster that was on display at the national histology conference 2009

Credited as a research assistant for a presentation at he Australian institute of medical scientists 2008

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
work experience at Mater Hospital

work experience at Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children (preschool section)

volunteer for Bandaged Bear Day 2009

volunteer for Legacy Day 2007

volunteer at Medibank International Tennis Competition 2009

teaching piano

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
they dont check whether you have done what u say u did. *hint hint*as long as its not blatantly obvious and there are no major inconsistencies in ur "examples" u will be fine. the give you the benefit of the doubt anyway. however, keep in mind that if u slip up, and they realise you are making stuff up as you go, ur gone. thats the risk u take.
other than that, getting first hand experience would be the best method:)

spandax

HSC
N/A
forensic lab autopsies etc (fun) i did this two years earlier
neorology (boring) private practice did it last year was very boring
some nursing home work
prefect
nationals for basketball
salvation army
uniprep: chemistry and biology
interact

probs thinking of doing pathology once i finish med :p

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Hmm,

Hospital work experience in radiology in year 10
Air force cadets for like 3 odd years
Worked for a union during uni
Doing a summer research scholarship in climate change
Rescue for the last year... current
Random charity work/events...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)