What makes higher selective students outstanding? (1 Viewer)

Akuri

HSC
N/A
Kinda awkward to post in this thread twice, but still in need of advice!

I’m hoping to sit the application for James Ruse and Hurlestone in June next year ( going into year 10 in 2019, applying for year 11 in 2020 ), and all the guides I’ve read to prepare myself for studying just tell me to closely revise the material from this year and last year, and to apply to at least two electives.

But surely this isn’t the only thing people get accepted for? Are the standards for public education ( from the perspective of schools ) that low? I didn’t exactly contribute to improving my own public school, but I observed hard workers in my environment. Are selective schools just all those hard workers put together? Absolutely, getting A's on 5/7 subjects sounds like work, but is that not what most schools expect already?

I understand that past test scores play a big role, since selective schools are looking for people who do well on tests, but in my case, I never did any of past schoolwork, so there’s nothing there to see. I got accepted into Elizabeth Macauthur in the year 6 selective ( even though, embarrassingly, I barely studied for the test ), and my friend was accepted into Macquarie fields, but I’ve never been close to someone in the top 5, so I can’t really ask what they did differently, or observe wether or not they are, infact, living and breathing.

So does the higher end of selective schools only accept miniature Mozarts and Monets, or is it just students who get decent grades and are active in their school?

Last edited:

ahri

HSC
I'm going to assume 'accept' as in transferring in after the selective test, but basically, they definitely look more towards your academics unless you're a state athlete/competitor/performer with decent marks (but mostly the academics). Obviously your extracurriculars do play in a part, but for the application for Ruse (not sure about Hurlstone), they do a test just to determine the academically better students. Extracurriculars might help you out in the respect that they might be deciding between two similar students and they would obviously pick the one who has contributed more.

c8

HSC
for ruse im assuming that nearly everyone has mostly A's if not all A's, so participating in things like extra curriculars and being involved in the school community definitely sets you apart from everybody else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)