What raw mark do you need in the exam for a band 6? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey can someone please explain the raw mark thing to me?

I don't get how you can get under 90 and get a band 6.

Does that mean you can get 6 marks wrong on the paper but through the process of scaling/raw marks etc still get a 97?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
cannibal.horse said:
Hey can someone please explain the raw mark thing to me?

I don't get how you can get under 90 and get a band 6.

Does that mean you can get 6 marks wrong on the paper but through the process of scaling/raw marks etc still get a 97?
The exam is marked out of 100.

However, the BOS wants to report the results based on a series of 6 Bands, with Band 2 being the 'minimum standard'. Now culturally we see the minimum standard as 50% so the BOS had to describe 50% as Band 2. However a raw mark of 50% doesn't equal the description of a Band 2 (50% describes more what a Band 4 students can do) so they align the raw marks to the Bands.

This is done during the marking process by a group of markers called judges who consider the difficulty of the question, the marking guidelines the teachers are using and the performance descriptor bands that you get with your results. The result of this process is that the raw marks aren't reported to students. Only the aligned marks are.

This is necessary to convert a range of marks of 0 - 100 into the 50 - 100 range which is where about 98 - 99% of all students fall as only about 1 - 2 % of students in each course get Band 1 (or less than 50%) for that subect.

This is of course different to the UAI but also explains why students with marks in the 70s will end up with UAIs in the 50s.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

cem said:
The exam is marked out of 100.

However, the BOS wants to report the results based on a series of 6 Bands, with Band 2 being the 'minimum standard'. Now culturally we see the minimum standard as 50% they had to describe 50% as Band 2. However a raw mark of 50% doesn't equal the description of a Band 2 (more like a Band 4) so they align the raw marks to the Bands.

This is done during the marking process by a group of markers called judges who consider the difficulty of the question, the marking guideline the teachers are using and the performance descriptor bands. The result of this process is that the raw marks aren't reported to students but only the aligned marks.

This is necessary to convert a range of marks of 0 - 100 really into a 50 - 100 range as only about 1 - 2 % of students in each course get Band 1 (or less than 50) for that subect.

This is of course different to the UAI but also explains why students with marks in the 70s will end up with UAIs in the 50s.
Yup, for everybody's clarification, see this:

imamerican

HSC
cem said:
70s as in raw marks or aligned marks? Cos i heard in order to get above 75 ish UAI all you need is a couple of Band 5s and 4s nothing too fancy. This whole scaling is confusing lol im hoping to get around 85 raw for ancient and hopefully that would be scaled to a band 6.. but i guess it depends on the other students too

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
imamerican said:
70s as in raw marks or aligned marks? Cos i heard in order to get above 75 ish UAI all you need is a couple of Band 5s and 4s nothing too fancy. This whole scaling is confusing lol im hoping to get around 85 raw for ancient and hopefully that would be scaled to a band 6.. but i guess it depends on the other students too
If you get mainly 70s (Band 4s) your UAI will be in the 50s or low 60s (depending on your subjects).

The mean mark for most subjects now is in the 70s so if you are getting all 70s then your are about the middle of the state so a UAI (or rank) should be in the middle,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)