what would be a good mark? (1 Viewer)

connie

HSC
N/A
ok so seeing as the scaling has been so good in economics in the last two years, what would be considered the range for good marks, i.e. 80-95?

also if you have a 9 day break between all your other exams and eco, is that long enough to effectively cram and get a good mark?

symo

HSC
im aiming for about 85...80 absolute minimum hopefully 85-90 as long as the essays are following similar structure...ie a policy one + global one..
about cramming..ive got 10 days gap till eco where ill do a lot...not cram..i no most fo it..just polish n recap stuff...
it all depends on how much you have done during the year..if you actually know the stuff or just study it..how ghood your notes are..how good you study...after tis w/e i will have finished all final notes (some for the 4th-5th time) then ill leave it till my 9 day gap most likely...
Adam

is a roflcopter
HSC
eco doesnt not have uber aligning right???

like your raw mark is your mark...right?

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by AGB
uber aligning???
like how a raw mark of 60% in 4unit maths can get you a 90+ in aligned marks

HannieStar

It is one of the top five scaled subjects or something- at least thats what my mum (a teacher) told me when she looked at the scaling from the last two years.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
like your raw mark is your mark...right?
This is rarely the case (or so I'd imagine). Almost all courses would have to involve at least some positive adjustment to raw marks during the aligning process, simply because the vast majority of them are transformed from a 0-100 scale to a 50-100 scale.

Though your earlier point was correct... no uber aligning. ;)

Originally posted by HannieStar
It is one of the top five scaled subjects or something
As Newbie and AGB pointed out, it is not and (as far as I know) never has been one of the top five scaled courses. Nor would it even be one of the top aligned courses. Scaling is a separate process anyway (see http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaling.php).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
In regards to the top five scaling subjects statement, hanniestar, I think the person u heard that from meant top five out of the non-extension, non language subjects. In this case its 3rd (or equal 2nd) behind Chemistry and Physics
Ive been told this too, at an economics workshop last year

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
economics had a higher scaled mean than physics last year, check the list on the main Boredofstudies page

Bl@h

dont mean to be rude but really you are wasting your time carring about these things much better to just sit down and study and do your best and let the mysterious powers that are the board of studies and UAC and whoeva else does it work their magic...worrying about how ur subject is scaled wont help you and it may just stress you out just do the exam and forget about evertything until the 18th :p good luck every1

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Originally posted by TastesGoodBut

come on high... remember if everybody gets 100 we all get 100!
As much as I'd like that to happen, it is highly unlikely.... SIGH!
(esp with ppl like Newbie dragging us down!!) :p

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
hehe only joking, you'll do well

I think you're ranked higher than me, So i need u to do well... Need all u smart boys to drag me up

Last edited:

StJoeysGal

we were always told that econ gets scaled up by approx 10marks? i hope so altho i need it scaled up by bout 50 marks lol

timmii

sporadic attendee
Mmmmh it depends what ur original mark was...i suspect if u got raw 91 it wont be scaled to 101 :rolleyes:, but something like 81 may move up a bit. I don't know, since i reckon my final mark would have been fairly close to my raw mark. Eco was my best subj at school and ended up being only my 3rd best for hsc - and my hsc mark was my lowest all year :( Oh well...*very* much over it now :p Just saying, don't over estimate the "uber-scaling".

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)