What's Canberra like in general as well as the University? (1 Viewer)

dv3

HSC
Hi,

I'm thinking of coming to Canberra next year to study a double degree of Software Engineering/Business Informatics. But, before I make my decision and ditch the University of Newcastle (where I'm currently studying at) I have a few questions I would like to ask.

1. What is the social aspect like at 'The University of Canberra' and the community itself? Now, I know that it's not like say Sydney although a rough idea would be good.

2. I hear that the staff/lecturers/tutors at the University are unhelpful and give unsatisfactory responses. For instance, I was talking to a friend of mine who went with his sister last year to visit one of the open days and asked one of the lecturers "what is the difference between Bachelor of Applied Science here and Bachelor of Science at ANU" the science lecturer replied, "Well here you do majors and minors in the science classes you like." :(

3. True or False: If you want to suffer from life-long depression, then UC is for you.

4. Are the towns people and people in general friendly? Are there places in Canberra that are particularly dangerous? If so, what are the towns/places a student should avoid?

5. Do a lot of people who go to Canberra come from Interstate? As I don't want to be the only one going to Canberra next year not knowing anybody. Are there a lot of International students that go to this University?

6. What is the cultural diversity of students attending this University? As I know that USYD and UNSW have great diverse range of backgrounds but wasn't sure about the University of Canberra.

7. Is anyone doing/has done a Bachelors Degree in Software Engineering or a Bachelors Degree in Business Informatics (or even a Double in both)? If so, how was/is it like? Did you enjoy the course? Are your tutors/lectures helpful and do they teach well?

8. I heard the internet facility at The University of Canberra is pretty bad in which you have to pay for how much you use? Is this true? (the University of Newcastle has free Unlimited wireless internet for every student anywhere on campus).

9. Overall, would you recommend anyone to go and study at 'The University of Canberra'.

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC
Hi,

I'm thinking of coming to Canberra next year to study a double degree of Software Engineering/Business Informatics. But, before I make my decision and ditch the University of Newcastle (where I'm currently studying at) I have a few questions I would like to ask.

1. What is the social aspect like at 'The University of Canberra' and the community itself? Now, I know that it's not like say Sydney although a rough idea would be good. Its Smaller than ANU so you have less people in lectures etc, but theres enough people to make friends

2. I hear that the staff/lecturers/tutors at the University are unhelpful and give unsatisfactory responses. For instance, I was talking to a friend of mine who went with his sister last year to visit one of the open days and asked one of the lecturers "what is the difference between Bachelor of Applied Science here and Bachelor of Science at ANU" the science lecturer replied, "Well here you do majors and minors in the science classes you like." :( Lecturers are very helpful.. some will give you personal contact details.. 95% if you email their uni email will reply within 1 day with the help u need

3. True or False: If you want to suffer from life-long depression, then UC is for you. Never heard that.. crap anyway

4. Are the towns people and people in general friendly? Are there places in Canberra that are particularly dangerous? If so, what are the towns/places a student should avoid? Civic/anywhere at night if your alone.. in a group you will be fine

5. Do a lot of people who go to Canberra come from Interstate? As I don't want to be the only one going to Canberra next year not knowing anybody. Are there a lot of International students that go to this University? There are alot of asians and indians... most people i know are from at least 2 hrs away.. there are a fair few people from QLD and VIC... a couple from TAS too

6. What is the cultural diversity of students attending this University? As I know that USYD and UNSW have great diverse range of backgrounds but wasn't sure about the University of Canberra. as above.. alot of indians, asians etc

7. Is anyone doing/has done a Bachelors Degree in Software Engineering or a Bachelors Degree in Business Informatics (or even a Double in both)? If so, how was/is it like? Did you enjoy the course? Are your tutors/lectures helpful and do they teach well? cant help you there

8. I heard the internet facility at The University of Canberra is pretty bad in which you have to pay for how much you use? Is this true? (the University of Newcastle has free Unlimited wireless internet for every student anywhere on campus). you get given $10 worth at the start of the year.. if your surfing just sites no video that will last you all year... if your living on residence you wont use it cause there wont be a need really cause we have our own internet

9. Overall, would you recommend anyone to go and study at 'The University of Canberra'. I'm here and I enjoy it.. so yeah I'd say that you wont regret it.. just have to acclimatise to winter

thats my thoughts

Member232135

HSC
N/A

1. What is the social aspect like at 'The University of Canberra' and the community itself? Now, I know that it's not like say Sydney although a rough idea would be good.

The social aspect of UC is very good, with SEAO running many uni events and parties etc. We have Groovin the Moo and Stonefest here, which are two live music and dj festivals. Wednesday nights on campus are the drinking nights with everyone drinking before 10pm, to goto the lighthouse down the road for $2 drinks(Basic spirits). The village itself runs social parties, assassin games, paintballing, foster a fresher program, and our uni bar is opening again soon so that should make things fun. The community itself around the uni is like any other, Belconnen shops next door provide almost everything u'll need, otherwise goto Civic shops 20 minutes away.

2. I hear that the staff/lecturers/tutors at the University are unhelpful and give unsatisfactory responses. For instance, I was talking to a friend of mine who went with his sister last year to visit one of the open days and asked one of the lecturers "what is the difference between Bachelor of Applied Science here and Bachelor of Science at ANU" the science lecturer replied, "Well here you do majors and minors in the science classes you like." :(

I've found my lecturers and tutorial teachers to be VERY helpful, at one point i actually had a drunken email back and forth arguement with one that would reply within minutes(Oh and i won!). Good fun though. I've been with friends at Usyd and spoken to lecturers there, and been unimpressed at how snobby and arrogant they are to students, and theres nothing like that i've experienced at UC. The course convenor is always open to discuss issues etc as well.

3. True or False: If you want to suffer from life-long depression, then UC is for you.

The only thing that may cause a life long depression after UC is the fact that you are no longer at UC and are missing it's awesomeness, the people, the atmosphere, the parties and the fun.

4. Are the towns people and people in general friendly? Are there places in Canberra that are particularly dangerous? If so, what are the towns/places a student should avoid?

People are as friendly as they are everywhere else? I'm from Sydney and I do find it better down here. Everywhere has dangerous areas, just don't be stupid and dont be surprised if ur robbed at 3am down a dark alley. But generally speaking crime is much much lower, and i've never had a problem. Civic is the main trouble spot cause of all the people, but easily avoided if ur with others. Once again never had a problem there.

5. Do a lot of people who go to Canberra come from Interstate? As I don't want to be the only one going to Canberra next year not knowing anybody. Are there a lot of International students that go to this University?

Yes alot of people come from interstate or internationally. Most people are in your boat, i was in the same boat. Don't forget you wont be the only one who won't know anyone and are looking to make friends. To be honest theres probably more international students just in the commerce courses in Sydney then in all UC.

6. What is the cultural diversity of students attending this University? As I know that USYD and UNSW have great diverse range of backgrounds but wasn't sure about the University of Canberra.

It's the same.

7. Is anyone doing/has done a Bachelors Degree in Software Engineering or a Bachelors Degree in Business Informatics (or even a Double in both)? If so, how was/is it like? Did you enjoy the course? Are your tutors/lectures helpful and do they teach well?

Cant help you here.

8. I heard the internet facility at The University of Canberra is pretty bad in which you have to pay for how much you use? Is this true? (the University of Newcastle has free Unlimited wireless internet for every student anywhere on campus).

This is only true if you live on campus, but then still you can just walk to the uni and use their net. Prices have dropped dramatically and shall continue to do so. Plus this sort of network has it's other benefits...

9. Overall, would you recommend anyone to go and study at 'The University of Canberra'.

I very much would recommend it as I am having a great time. I'm actually home in Sydney atm, on my 3 MONTH BREAK (2 months plus exam period that i don't have). But it's very much a change from Sydney, it's different, but it's not bad. As long as you dont keep to yourself, make a little effort, keep up to date with your work, you'll have an amazing time!

Feel free to add my msn if u have any other questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)