• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What's the difference between a Commerce degree and majoring in Econ vs an Econ Degree? (1 Viewer)

TaserTaser99

HSC
Hey everyone,

My aim for the last year or so has been to do a double degree in CompSci and Economics which is only offered at UNSW but I saw that Usyd has a similar program which has Advanced Computing and Commerce where you can major in CompSci and Economics respectively in the degrees.

If I had the choice, I would obviously just choose Advanced Computing and Economics but that is not a double degree option, so I was wondering if there is a tangible difference distinguishing majoring Econ in Commerce and the Economics degree itself.

Also, this probably isn't a question for this forum but what is the difference between Commerce Majoring Econ at Usyd vs just an Economics degree at UNSW.

Any help would be really appreciated and sorry if my English is bad!

igor9

HSC
if ur even leaning towards comp sci go unsw, usyd is shit for stem.

carrotsss

HSC
there is probably pretty much no difference an eco degree probably just means a few extra degree core units

however something worth considering which could keep you at uni for like half the time is a double major, you can just do a bsc/badvcomp/bcom (or even Bachelor of Arts) alone and then double major with econ and comp sci and be done in 3-4 years. and realistically any employer will see the same majors, it really doesn’t make much difference other than saving u time.

coolascucumber

HSC
Check the course handbook. As @carrotsss said it is mainly just core units (such as econometrics) which you’ll miss out on should you do an economics major from a commerce degree as opposed to an economics degree. That’s pretty much the main difference between the w

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)