• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What's the job opportunities and prospects for Chemical Engineering? (1 Viewer)

arjungamer123

HSC
I know it's in demand, but how high of a demand?

Employment opportunities/salaries?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
arjungamer123 said:
I know it's in demand, but how high of a demand?

Employment opportunities/salaries?
"How high of a demand" is a nonsensical question like "how blue is the sky".

There are plenty of opportunities and salaries are highest among engineers. Long term prospects are good because of biotechnology and things like that.

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
Chemical Engineering has many job opportunities and is quite a well paying profession. Of course you aren't going to immediately skyrocket to $100K a year but such salaries (often larger) are common for Chemical Engineers given some relevant industry experience.

SOME of the Industries/Jobs you can work in:
-Process Engeering
-Pharmaceuticals
-Bio and Nano technology
-Petroleum and Petrochemicals
-Materials/Mining
-Environmental Quality (Ecology and Water Testing i.e for pathogens etc)
-Any plant/reactor work (Desalination, was told by a teacher Nuclear but not 100% sure about that myself)
-Medical Science type stuff

That's just off the top of my head. Pretty much a Chemical Engineer looks at a small process (i.e in a testtube)and determines how they will make it larger (or industrial) sized. Word of warning though, the name Chemical Engineering can be slightly misleading, many people think it will be all Chemistry but in fact it is predominantely maths and physics. One of my friends did Chemical Engineering because he loved Chemistry and Biology but found it wasn't what he was expecting in terms of Chemistry (he said Industrial Engineering would be a more appropriate degree name) and switched to Mining Engineering. That's not to deter you or anything, just giving an idea of what to expect.

Hope this helps. Best bet is to get on uni websites, read course descriptions (preferably the one's given to students for enrolment-usually can be found as a PDF file) and see whether it all links together for you.

Best of luck.

arjungamer123

HSC
`Thanks Nimrod. I love Maths, Physics and Chemsitry, so I guess Im set!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)