Whats the point of Honors? (1 Viewer)

Fires in Clouds

HSC
I'm unsure whether i want to do honors in psychology. But this question goes for all courses in general... Other than making you look studious and ambitious, does Honors really make an impact on your degree? Does it really make a difference to the jobs that you'll find?

As far as i know, it doesnt actually lock you out of any particular jobs, right?

thanks in advance!!

sunny

meh.
HSC
I would imagine if two people go for a job position that require academic achievements, the one with honours might have an edge. I'm doing honours just because I want to. I would find it wrong that I didn't do something extra especially knowing that I could have done it...

...plus you'll be honourable afterwards :p

Affinity

HSC
You actually do some thinking in honours, rather than being spoonfed.

Don't you need honours in psych to go any further?

specialjenny

HSC
Yes. You MUST do honours to go further in psyc. Or you could do like a post grad. dip. at UWS as the requirement for the 4th year of undergrad. psyc in order to do Masters of Psyc.

brightsea

HSC
Not having Honours attached to your degree almost guarantees that you will not be working for DFAT. There's too much competition for the number of places.

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
Fires in Clouds said:
As far as i know, it doesnt actually lock you out of any particular jobs, right?

thanks in advance!!
Actually it can lock you out of many "foot in door" jobs that would generally require someone with say a diploma in lab techniques. You woudl be thus "overqualified" but with honours you woudl have had atleast 1 year of independent lab exp which most employers will regard highly. Its when you leave a 3 yr degree with no external lab exp that it becomes a little problem. Youre suddenly slightly underqualified for the science jobs but over qualified for those entry level positions reserved for those with a TAFE diploma.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)