• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What's your best advice for law exams? (1 Viewer)

T

Tom Ruprecht

My advice is to choose the essay question that is the hardest, so its easier to write something sophisticated. or one where there are the most issues so that you have breadth.

NEVER ever choose the one that looks obvious because chances are, it only look obvious because you haven't thought of all the issues.

i am a fool.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
When doing an essay style question and you did not study the subject matter it covers, just paraphrase excerpts from the chapter that talks about it. It is impossible for you to take things out of context when you are fuelled by the stress of an exam, and the prospects of you quoting law that has been reconsidered by the High Court and consequently reversed are, at best, laughable.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I had my Introduction to Law exam yesterday and I have Torts on Wednesday.

When doing an open book exam, make sure you don't spend too much time looking for something minor or insignificant. Another stupid thing I did, when doing statutory interpretation, think that the question is too straightforward, if it doesn't look like you need the purposive approach, don't do it because you worry that the literal approach wont be enough, especially when the onlt extrinsic material is a very short second reading speech.

Good luck all :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
What's your best advice for law exams?
For problem questions:

1. Go through the facts at least twice, and highlight and note down the issues as they come to you.

2. Always remember to point out alternative routes -- "In the alternative, should the court not find X...".

3. Leave no principle without an authority -- and a good authority. Make sure it is the most authoritative available or the most on point.

4. Write mechanically and extremely concisely. No waffle whatever.

5. Take a minute to plan your response format, so that your answer is coherent and logical.

6. Use headings.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
if you find yourself getting flustered during the exam, take 3 deep breaths before continuing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)