Wheel of Time (1 Viewer)

sarevok

HSC
Any one read this? I'm currently nearing the end of book 5...the series has been entertaining so far but the pace really seems to be dragging. It doesn't help that Jordan's female characters are just the same annoying, bitchy, haughty, braid-tugging character repeated fifty times (except for moiraine who is pretty cool). is it worth my time and money continuing?

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
My brother raved about them to me for years and I eventually caved in even though Im not a fantasy fan. It seemed like a pretty generic, run of the mill series. Robert Jordan's writing style really got to me by the sixth book (dont ask me why I trudged through about 4000 pages of something I didnt really like) because I realised that none of his female characters are likeable or appear to be anything but 2D and its filled with a whole lot of extraneous detail that adds nothing to the experience.

Sorry, no love from here.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I personally enjoyed them all, to varying degrees, but i have to admit that although there is some cool and interesting stuff in books 6-10, if you're not liking it by now, the other books may not be that enjoyable for you. Shame, but each to their own. :)

Demandred

HSC
After book 8, things really start to get slow, Jordan should really hurry up already.

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
after book 3 everything starts to drag on. jordan has run out of ideas. he is either indulging his ego or cashing in on his loyal following.

if you want to read epic fantasy that has a begining, middle and end read tad williams.

jordan is a "false dragon"!

Will-San

HSC
grendel said:
jordan is a "false dragon"!

Have to entirely disagree with you there, i loved his writing from the first, but then again ive talked to ppl who cant stand it...... each to his own i guess...... in any case he's a dead dragon if anything

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Will-San said:
Have to entirely disagree with you there, i loved his writing from the first, but then again ive talked to ppl who cant stand it...... each to his own i guess...... in any case he's a dead dragon if anything
Congratulations! You just did a bit of thread necromancy and are now obligated to indulge in a bit of thread necrophilia (though preferrably somewhere not here)!

What a way to revive a two-year-dead thread!

Faramon

HSC
Well, if you are going to wait for Jordan to hurry up, to late now, he is dead. Died from cancer.

Anyway, back on topic, WoT is the BEST series of book I have ever read. The fact that you want everything to speed up just proves how much you like the story and the characters.

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
RJ actually died of the rare blood disease amyloidosis, not cancer. RIP

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
live.fast said:
Didn't Jordan leave anyone the WoT plot line?
Heaps of people. He told his entire family what he intended to happen in the even tthat he passed away. According to author Ryan Sohmer over at the Looking For Group webcomic - and the man's usually very up-to-date on this sort of stuff - someone has been chosen to finish the series, so look for itto his shelves late in 2009.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I've been re-reading the books - largely because I have nothing better to do right now - and it surprises me that Moridin was named nae'blis, largely because I think I've worked out what Demandred is doing in the broader sense of things even if I haven't figured out who he is or what he's doing. If I'm right, it makes him far more important than any of the other Forsaken.

I think Demandred is deliberatrely damagin the Pattern so that the Dark One can break free. While Shai'tan would have some degree of influence over he world, Demandred's actions are accelerating his plans. I think Demandred is using balefire, and using it a lot. It doesn't matter who he is using it on, only that he is. The Dark One asked him if he would be wiling to unleash it in his master's name at the beginning of Lord of Chaos, but we haven't seen anyone die inexplicably aside from Asmodean, and he died the day before Demandred was asked to use at Shayol Ghul.

As we saw in Knife of Dreams, the dead are walking, buildings are chaning and reality itself is warping. With balefire undoing everything that had been done, Demandred is loosening the pattern, probably in an effort to create some kind of rift that the Dark One can reach through.

gk0608

HSC
I have to say I'm up to chapter five of book 10 and I'm finding it hard to get through, not only because of my studies, but because I'm so sick of Perrin and Faile. Those two just annoy me. Otherwise I'v found the series very entertaining and interesting so far... I really like the relationship between Lan and Nynaeve, its so adorable, a bit hard to understand at times but still cute =)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
gk0608 said:
I have to say I'm up to chapter five of book 10 and I'm finding it hard to get through, not only because of my studies, but because I'm so sick of Perrin and Faile. Those two just annoy me. Otherwise I'v found the series very entertaining and interesting so far... I really like the relationship between Lan and Nynaeve, its so adorable, a bit hard to understand at times but still cute =)
Crossroads of Twilight - the book you're reading now - is easily the worst in the series because very little happens. You could probably skip it and move on to Knife of Dreams without missing much, but I haven't read the books for a while (I did stat again recently, but I only got halfway into WInter's Heart before being forced to give up because of uni), so I can be sure.

gk0608

HSC
Crossroads of Twilight - the book you're reading now - is easily the worst in the series because very little happens. You could probably skip it and move on to Knife of Dreams
Thanks, I might just do that because I was literally forcing myself to read through it just so I didn't miss anything.
There's a lot of unecessary stuff in most of his books, like the five pages he'll waste writing about how Rand is moping about feeling sorry for himself again, just drags the novel out and makes it harder to read.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
The problem with Crossroads is that it runs parallel to the end of Winter's Heart, and basically recounts everyone's reactions to the Cleansing. The only really important thing that happens is that Davram Bashere contacts Rand in Tear telling him the Seanchan want him to meet with the Daughter of the Nine Moons, but Mat has long since taken Tuon with him when they fled Ebou Dar.

The only thing you might not understand is some of the Andoran politics as Elayne tries to secure her throne, but it's the most boring subplot in the entire series.

selablad

HSC
Wow, it's been a long time since I read those books. I'd completely forgotten most of it until now (if you'd said "Seanchan" to me this morning I would've gone "huh?"). But yeah...those books were long. Really long. And the series even longer. The pace really drags in the last few books though, and virtually nothing happens for thousands of pages...so I was really disappointed when Robert Jordan died, not so much because I want to find out what happens, but more because I have such a huge investment in those books!

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
yeah i really have to agree with all the above comments

most of the books are really good, but they take absolutely forever for anything to happen

not to mention the complete women thing

i mean rand counting all the dead women, and refusing to fight Lanfear, completely subservient etc.

it got so bloody irritating, it was like Jordan was writing a romance turned fantasy

He could have finished it so much quicker instead of languishing with crappy subploots, and gone on to write a series about the previous Tarmon Gai'don ( i really wanted to read stuff from that era, it seems so much cooler), instead of which he wrote 11 1/2 books on one series and died.

It really started to slow down, but it had its moments, and those moments were awesome, such as the time in rhuidean, the fights he had with the forsaken, etc.

I reckon mat is the best character, only one who is slightly realistic (i mean the rest are essentially angels).

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
sarevok said:
Any one read this? I'm currently nearing the end of book 5...the series has been entertaining so far but the pace really seems to be dragging. It doesn't help that Jordan's female characters are just the same annoying, bitchy, haughty, braid-tugging character repeated fifty times (except for moiraine who is pretty cool). is it worth my time and money continuing?
No. The series goes downhill after asmodean dies. It's just stupid, the main character looses his hand?! Robert Jordan dies before finnishing the series?!

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
nayyarv said:
I reckon mat is the best character, only one who is slightly realistic (i mean the rest are essentially angels).
No, no ! you've got it all wrong, Asmodean is the best character. :D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)