Where can this double deg take me and what are the best majors? (1 Viewer)

sy37

HSC
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/courses/c10219.html

Double degree in business + IT

I'd like to work as a systems analyst after, and eventually progress into project management and stuff. I'm not sure if this is the right degree but I think it is. What are the best majors to pick for it? I'm abit clueless :p

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/courses/c10219.html

Double degree in business + IT

I'd like to work as a systems analyst after, and eventually progress into project management and stuff. I'm not sure if this is the right degree but I think it is. What are the best majors to pick for it? I'm abit clueless :p
Business - human resources

IT - business information systems

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Business - human resources

IT - business information systems
I feel like human resources won't have much relevance to his goals of systems analyst or project management unfortuantely.

You will do basic compulsory subjects at uni for most majors as an introduction, so dont worry too much in choosing them quite yet - in terms of business major - accounting/finance/management might be of more help - that being the business component doesn't seem too relevant to what you want to do later, so maybe a single degree will suffice? Accounting is always a useful major to pick up later on for management roles though i guess,(being able to read and extract information from financial reports is a really good skill to have in any company) along with management - although i feel it's just dry theory and you don't really need a management major to get a management role, because those come more from having years of experience rather then some "management" major.

sy37

HSC
I feel like human resources won't have much relevance to his goals of systems analyst or project management unfortuantely.

You will do basic compulsory subjects at uni for most majors as an introduction, so dont worry too much in choosing them quite yet - in terms of business major - accounting/finance/management might be of more help - that being the business component doesn't seem too relevant to what you want to do later, so maybe a single degree will suffice? Accounting is always a useful major to pick up later on for management roles though i guess,(being able to read and extract information from financial reports is a really good skill to have in any company) along with management - although i feel it's just dry theory and you don't really need a management major to get a management role, because those come more from having years of experience rather then some "management" major.
Cool..

Do you know what happen after I complete this double degree? I'm not sure how it goes, do I just apply for jobs or something after 4 years or am I already linked with one? Sorry to sounds naive :|

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Cool..

Do you know what happen after I complete this double degree? I'm not sure how it goes, do I just apply for jobs or something after 4 years or am I already linked with one? Sorry to sounds naive :|
No

You have to find your own job (like everyone else )

sy37

HSC
No

You have to find your own job (like everyone else )
Oh right, yeah totally, as expected - just thought UTS had some sort of industry placement program I recall hearing about. Must be for some other degree or something

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh right, yeah totally, as expected - just thought UTS had some sort of industry placement program I recall hearing about. Must be for some other degree or something
BIT (bachelor of IT)

That degree has industry placements (iirc Katsumi does it)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Too late for it though. Apps closed.

Not to derail thread. But outside BIT, I feel that UNSW offers more opportunities in this area over the standard bus/IT degree at UTS. So if you have the ATAR, i recommend that.

Also i totes agree with what chronost said. HR wont be very useful. Any kid in the office can do the same shit as one who has a HR major. I'd say accounting would be the most useful. Acct can get you into IT relevant areas like risk/assurance

sy37

HSC
Too late for it though. Apps closed.

Not to derail thread. But outside BIT, I feel that UNSW offers more opportunities in this area over the standard bus/IT degree at UTS. So if you have the ATAR, i recommend that.

Also i totes agree with what chronost said. HR wont be very useful. Any kid in the office can do the same shit as one who has a HR major. I'd say accounting would be the most useful. Acct can get you into IT relevant areas like risk/assurance
Yeah I'm definitely going to go with accounting. Not too sure about the IT side though yet

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I dont know how else your gonna get into a system analyst role without an IT degree lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)