Whether or not to continue Accelerated Maths? (1 Viewer)

Papercutter

HSC
Hi there everyone!
I'm currently unsure whether to continue on with Accelerated Maths, seeing as I'll be moving to a new school in 2015! Regarding whether or not I'll even be accepted into AM at the new school, the principal recommended that I speak to the Head teacher for maths.

Assuming that I'm offered a place in the class, do you guys reckon I should take it or not? I'll most likely do 2 unit anyway (regardless whether I am in AM or not) if it ever comes to that. My old AM teacher says I am ready to start Prelim as she has taught me all the content needed to start the work.

So what would you guys do?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd stay in accelerated mathematics if you are able.. its feels an enormous weight of your shoulders having already finished an HSC course.
And you have less units to worry about when doing the rest of your HSC courses in 2017

You can also repeat the course if you think you haven't performed to the standard you want..

FancyPenguin

HSC
I'd stay in accelerated mathematics if you are able.. its feels an enormous weight of your shoulders having already finished an HSC course.
And you have less units to worry about when doing the rest of your HSC courses in 2017

You can also repeat the course if you think you haven't performed to the standard you want..
you should try stay in it as getting 2u out of the way is really good, also you can repeat it if you screw up (just don't repeat prelim if you can help it). just try your best and seeing as that's the only math you want to do it will be great if you can finish it and will pay off hugely in year 12

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
Acceleration really allows you to focus on one subject and puts less pressure on it later. And the others are right - you can always repeat the course if I don't do as well as you had hoped. It's sort of like a free shot at the HSC and you would be more confident come 2017, having already gone through the HSC process before.

Papercutter

HSC
I see, most likely going to try take on the course then! It must really be good to have one less subject to do in Year 12!

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
Yeah continue!! I did it and even though I repeated (in hindsight I really shouldn't have though, I only beat my mark by 1), it was literally like having one less subject for the hsc, didn't have to learn content but rather just revise revise revise

Try to smash it in year 11 though so u don't have to repeat

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
One of my best mates did accelerated math. As long as you smash it, it's a big weight of your shoulders. Unfortunately for him, he bludged it, messed up his exam, had to repeat it in Year 11 and then his 3U suffered. I'd say do it, but make sure you're focusing most of your energy into it bc in the end, the other work you do in year ten won't count towards your ATAR, but Maths will. Good luck at the new school :D

barcyy

HSC
“If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!” - Richard Branson

puneetnanda

HSC
As someone who accelerated in HSC subjects I can say that whilst i may have been able to get a better mark had i chosen to attempt it in a non-accel fashion, it was one of the best decisions of my HSC life. By finishing the subjects beforehand it really freed up my ability to focus on other HSC subjects especially English which maximised my overall academic potential. Good Luck

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Continue.

I'm doing a Business Accelerated course - will complete the HSC for it in 2015 [this year].

There was a point in time where I found it difficult to cope with, I wasn't doing as great, coming 3rd in general was disappointing for me.
But it lets you have an advantage over the other students who don't get to experience the HSC or Year 12 assessments and learn skills from it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)