which name do u call ya lecturers by?? (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
i just wanted to know by which name do u call ya lecturers/tutors by...i.e do u call them by their surnames like we did at skool eg. "mr. (insert surname)" or do u call them by their first name.

i'm just asking, coz i realise that quite a few ppl. call the lecturers/tutors by their first name, and i'm thinking that i'm the only one calling them by their surnames. LoL

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
with friends i refer to them by either their first name or first and last names
to their face, i usually just go 'umm excuse me!!'

Generator

HSC
N/A
Each lecturer tends imply their preference if they do not tell you outright... As you go on through the years using their first name does become much easier.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
with friends i refer to them by either their first name or first and last names
to their face, i usually just go 'umm excuse me!!'
what do u mean by "with friends"...and yes, i do use "umm excuse me" quite a lot. :D

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
what do u mean by "with friends"
well like, say my friends and i are talking about...whatever..., i might say 'oh, so what did you think of Hugh's lecture the other day' or 'am I the only one who finds Hugh Dunstan really boring'

so, yeah, just in general conversation

Originally posted by Generator
Each lecturer tends imply their preference if they do not tell you outright... As you go on through the years using their first name does become much easier.
its weird though, like, my bio demonstrator walked into our first lab and was like 'hi, im gary if you dont already know me, blah blah blah' but then whenever he puts an announcement on blackboard hes like 'if you have a problem with this, see Dr. Gary Ellem in blah blah'

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I use their given names. It's not hard, but I did the same at school...

Anyway half the people in my course think I'm a third year student now. It's annoying.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Eeko
we call our accounting lecturer

"THE JEW"
woah- how come, is he like a real jew? :confused:

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
well like, say my friends and i are talking about...whatever..., i might say 'oh, so what did you think of Hugh's lecture the other day' or 'am I the only one who finds Hugh Dunstan really boring'

so, yeah, just in general conversation
yeah, i c what u mean, i just refer to teachers by their surnames when i'm with my friends- coz i usually didn't know their first names. LoL

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer

Anyway half the people in my course think I'm a third year student now. It's annoying.
LOLZ@ lexi... guess i wasn't the only one.. =p blehz

anywayz, i just call em "my bio lecturer", "my phys lecturer" or "excuse me" "sir" sorta thing...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
:eek: so u actually called teachers by their first names at skool?
Nah, at school I called them by their full names. :p

"It's Serge Yalichev! How's it going?"

After a while though first name basis was the norm. Fort Street then was like a little Sydney Uni though...can't say the same any more.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Nah, at school I called them by their full names. :p

"It's Serge Yalichev! How's it going?"

After a while though first name basis was the norm. Fort Street then was like a little Sydney Uni though...can't say the same any more.
yeah, thats really strang to call teachers by their FULL names- coz its just so inconvenient- might as well use "sir"...anyways, lets get back to lecturers- do most ppl. here call them by their first names?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
...anyways, lets get back to lecturers- do most ppl. here call them by their first names?
At senior levels - late undergraduate, and all postgraduate - almost always. First years seem to take a while to get used to this informality. The only time I wouldn't call an academic by their first name is in a written communication, and even then I'd probably only write Doctor X, or whatever, if I didn't know them.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
At senior levels - late undergraduate, and all postgraduate - almost always. First years seem to take a while to get used to this informality. The only time I wouldn't call an academic by their first name is in a written communication, and even then I'd probably only write Doctor X, or whatever, if I didn't know them.
ahh...ic- thats it, i'm gonna b calling all my lecturers and tutors by their first names- hopefully i don't get decked. :D

MoNNiE

HSC
errmm...
Sir or madame...
otherwise just like their last name

laney

HSC
probably sir.
wouldn't call a woman miss though.
i dunno, just go 'hey....' i don't even know most of the lecturers' names

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
For one course I call two lecturers and more lab tutors by their first name. For some, I dont even know their names...and it usually comes down to excuse me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)