Which subjects? (1 Viewer)

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Hey guys,

Alright my little bro has subject selections coming up. My parents are really asking me, but I've never really had experience with the subjects he wants to choose. I did the humanities, but he's more of a sciency guy( like many out there).

So, the subjects he plans on carrying onto the HSC are:

MX1
MX2
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Advanced English

But I thought he should even it out a bit, cause I dunno about the three sciences, as I did modern and legal, that sort of stuff (more humanities based). So I thought he should probably replace one of the sciences with like:

MX2
MX1
Biology
Chemistry
Economics
Advanced English

What do you guys recommend. All advice appreciated (I personally hated science in 7-10 ;))

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
A reminder that he can't do MX2 in Year 11 and so I think you need another unit in either list for Year 11

liamlolz

HSC
As someone currently doing all three Sciences, it is not too bad. Just make sure that he likes all of them because, as I'm sure you know, there is no point in doing a subject that you don't enjoy. If he is looking to study Sciences in Uni, then I would recommend doing all three because all the Sciences kind of link together, and some are prerequisites/assumed knowledge for Uni entry. It's a good idea to do them all in prelim so that he can get a 'feel' of them as it is very different than junior sciences. He could always drop one after the first semester (which I am planning on doing), and pick up another subject if he does not really enjoy one of them.

jack2230

HSC
I'am basically doing those exact same subjects. My current list is:

English Advanced
Maths Extension 1
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Economics

and to be honest, that combination hasn't been to bad, especially if you enjoy science and maths. I also want to pick up 4-unit Maths in Year 12 but it will actually be a challenge working out what to drop. At first, I thought it would be the humanity that I would be dropping, but Economics has been really enjoyable for me and I have done extremely well in it (95% ish) so far this year. Just get him to choose what he is passionate in, although Economics would be the best humanity for someone science orientated as I tried Legal Studies for a week and it just wasn't for me (too much essay writing).

Thanks,
Jack

J280

HSC
My advice is to only do Economics if your bro really thinks he'd like it. Otherwise 3 sciences is not a problem if he feels as though he can be committed/enjoys them all :)

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
He should do the subjects he is interested in and enjoys.... not just because you 'prefer humanities'

Axio

=o
HSC
If you want him to pick a humanities subject to have more breadth then maybe talk to him about his favourite humanities subject and least favourite science to see whether he would like to change. If not then there is nothing wrong with doing 3 sciences and it is certainly not a bigger workload than doing 2 sciences and a humanities subject.

SabrinaSchool

HSC
N/A
It has to be what he wants to do and what he can do well in. If he is confident with 3 sciences then that is his decision.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Thanks for that guys!

Do you think Physics is easier/better than Biology (based on personal opinion). He wants to do the three sciences in Prelim, and drop Physics or Biology in the HSC. :sun:

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Thanks for that guys!

Do you think Physics is easier/better than Biology (based on personal opinion). He wants to do the three sciences in Prelim, and drop Physics or Biology in the HSC. :sun:
Both physics and bio are challenging. Bio- more content, memorising and some problem solving. Physics- some memorising, calculations and problem solving. U still have to do good quality study to get great marks in either subject.
Personally I like physics more cos I'm more of a maths based person.
on a scaling perspective, biology tends to scale lower than physics.

Last edited:

J280

HSC
Thanks for that guys!

I'd say Physics is harder (for me personally), and he'll have the entire Year 11 to decide which to drop. :)

photastic

HSC
I envy those who can breeze chemistry and physics. It takes me forever to understand it :detective:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I envy those who can breeze chemistry and physics. It takes me forever to understand it :detective:
Perhaps they have practised for many hours and appear to others 'breezing through' these two subjects while they have done a lot of hard work:)

macrazy

HSC
Thanks for that guys!

Personally I would say physics is definitely harder

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Fiction

HSC
This is just major generalisation, but according to my peers, Biology is the ~easiest~ science for them, because it's plain ol' memorization. I don't do physics, only bio, so I wouldn't really have a clue in comparing the two, but my bio teacher told my class that bio is not the most academically challenging science subject. I think bio is also scaled the lowest in comparison to physics and chem, generally. I know scaling isn't something you should base your subject selection on, but I guess you could always consider as a factor of difficulty...? Don't quote me on it though xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)