Which University? (1 Viewer)

Phantasy

HSC
N/A
There are many supposed facts and rumoured myths about all universities, some of which you may or may not have heard.
I am one of many that are confused, misdirected and in need of information about uni's which are not glossy propaganda.
I am wondering if there is anybody out there that is able to help.

Phantasy

HSC
N/A
I am deciding between:
B Science at UTS
B Eng (mech) at UoW

But I have heard that UTS is not a very good university for things other than buisiness, and I found an article on the web about an student paying someone to change thier mark in a report from the ICAC.

I have heard that UoW is becoming a reputable univeristy, but I would actually liek to talk to someone that goes to the uni's. Does anybody know how I can do that?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
my friend did med sci at UTS and said it was great. The lecturers/tutors were really helpful. She then went to usyd to do some post grad stuff and her supervisor was so bad that she ended up quitting. I guess you'll find good and bad stories, but I dont think UTS science is bad.

darkroomgirl

HSC
There's a lot of misconceptions surrounding UWS and I think that's because of the low cut-offs it has for nearly all of its courses. UWS is actually quite a good uni, from what I've gathered. A lot of my mates go there and they absolutely love it. One went for a psychology degree and has only good things to say about it, especially his Creative Writing class. Another one does Visual Communications in Penrith and he's really doing well, too. They also said that they liked how the campuses were small and contained... kinda more intimate... they're not as big and impersonal as the larger unis.

My cousin and friend went to USyd and totally loved it... except for the fact that it was really, really traditional and old-fashioned (e.g. they refuse to do online lectures because they believe that students should always turn up personally to class), plus some of the students apparently could be a bit snobby. But other than that, it's a beautiful campus with lots of history and repute... and their graduations are really awesome, hehe.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Each university has its own strengths and failings. UWS, for example, is a good university with a bad reputation because it's in the western suburbs. In contrast, USYD is a good uni with a reputation far beyond what it deserves because of the prestige associated with its name.

somecooldude

HSC
Phanatical said:
Each university has its own strengths and failings. UWS, for example, is a good university with a bad reputation because it's in the western suburbs. In contrast, USYD is a good uni with a reputation far beyond what it deserves because of the prestige associated with its name.
i understand western subs got a bad rep.. but why is it that they have this bad rep? i mean, obviously it isnt as bad as ppl think.. or is it?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
somecooldude said:
i understand western subs got a bad rep.. but why is it that they have this bad rep? i mean, obviously it isnt as bad as ppl think.. or is it?
UWS has a (comparatively) bad reputation because many of the areas it is adept in are not generally well percieved by students. For example it has strengths in agriculture and hospitality and various other applied areas and of course psychology and acting. To further the problem, most students equate a higher UAI cut-off with a better course and as UWS has lower cut-offs it suffers in the public eye. UWS is a good uni at what its good at, and a poor one at what its poor at - just like every other uni. You just have to decide which areas you value and which you don't.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
becuase some people like to generalise the fact that "its in the west so it must be bad"
nah, UWA has a pretty good rep i fink. :p

SweetSeasons

HSC
can I just say High Distinctions look good no matter what uni you go to...

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
im doing it at UWS *sigh*...all my friends are either private college/tafe/other uni's

i don't wanna make new friends :(

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Basically I think of uni's like brand lables. Some uni's like brands have some prestige assosiated with them, some people think just because you go to a certain uni it makes you a better/ smarter student (much like how some people think brand lables show class, wealth etc) but in the end brand stuff and fake stuff do the same thing, much like the uni's, the courses are mostly the same with the same content

Ok that was random but yeah :p

Ms 12 we have until the 5th to change

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
bitchgirl said:
im doing it at UWS *sigh*...all my friends are either private college/tafe/other uni's

i don't wanna make new friends :(
yeah all my preferences at at UWS. i know no one else going there. ive never had to make new friends, or been in a place where i didn't know anyone. it looks so hard! :(:(

Ninew

HSC
melsc said:
All mine are at UWS too YAY!!!

Woah! That was the last thing i expected to see! All of yours are at UWS? Wow! Mel, thats a side of you i have never seen before. I would have thought you would go to Sydney or UTS, but the again, UWS Law sounds great! Three of mine are at UWS, the rest at UNSW and USYD, But thats only for my parents!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)