• Yes

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • no.

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Just wondering how many people used tutoring services (or are planning to use) for their HSC?

super_fly5

HSC
I am among the many that will be benefiting from such services.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I also had tutoring in the HSC.

One of my mates reckons if you have a hot chick for a tutor- it motivates you to study and work harder. He was right.

P

pLuvia

I haven't finished the HSC but I'm definately using tutition

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
No formal tutoring yet but still a few months left of the HSC only time will tell...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Never used a tutor in my life, still got above 90.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Rafy said:
Never used a tutor in my life, still got above 90.
Congratulations.
A guy in my Chemistry class was like that. Never had any tutoring, UAI of 99.55.

I must say most tutors I went to were utterly useless. English tutoring was uber fun because we had a great teacher, but because of the wide variety of texts and no two people studying the same thing, the lessons were extremely off-topic and vague. Math tutoring wasn't helpful either.

The only tutoring I benefited from was Chemistry. I've only had 2 Chemistry tutors through 4 years (one taught Science in years 9 and 10) and they were both great. So thanks to them, I'm now tutoring others.

Pace_T

HSC
i had tutoring for maths. well it was maths extension mostly. he was a private tutor. he was really helpful nd pulled me from sub 40% marks to well above 90% :D
i believe the effect of my tutoring was far greater becasue the guy really related to me.
i didn't have tutoring for any other subject coz i dont really see how tutoring is cost effective for subjects other than maths coz that needs understanding where as others need memorising (e.g. modern history, english).

i didn't do tutoring for chemistry because i taught my self. in fact, i had 3 different teachers teaching my whole class. 2 didn't do a single thing for us while the other taught us for 1 whole term! i had the urge to get tutoring however, i realised that you don't really need it for chemistry coz its just memorising from internet + heaps of textbooks. in the end the lowest in the class got band 6 for chem nd i got 94 for chem. with maths n stuff u have to ask the individual question so u can understand it. im not going to tutor for chemistry, im no where near smart enough for it. but in the end ppl can always ask the individual subject forums as opposed to getting pricey tutors. thats tutoring itself, really.

private tutors r much better than classes in my opinion. but then again ive only had tutoring for maths 2u/3u.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Dreamerish*~ said:
I must say most tutors I went to were utterly useless. English tutoring was uber fun because we had a great teacher, but because of the wide variety of texts and no two people studying the same thing, the lessons were extremely off-topic and vague. Math tutoring wasn't helpful either.
I think having a private tutor might've helped there- for me, my tutor went out and studied all the texts I did after I told her which ones I had done... and for related texts, we went through them at her place during tuition.

PiGMAN

HSC
never had a tutor- 98.05

Tutors are useless. If you do the work, you will go well.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
they're not useless if you dont understand concepts. with that said, ive never used one.

ioniser

HSC
they arent useless, what about for maths(especially ext 2) when you cant solve problems that you have and the teacher at skool has like a million other kids asking her questions at the same time

I know heaps of people that didn't get tutoring and got high uais ,but what seperates them from me was that they were naturally talented and absorbed things more quickly than the avrerage person,thus tutoring gives the average people a chance acompeting with the smarter ones

PiGMAN

HSC
Well, assuming there are reasonable class sizes (my ext2 class was ~15 people), you should be able to ask the teacher. Even if you can't ask the teacher during class, you could ask @ lunch / recess or during a free, or one of your friends that could answer the question.

Last edited:

ishq

brown?
HSC
Had group tutoring for Maths Ext I+II. It was good for competition and extra questions and techniques that wernt discussed in class.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i had tutor for mx1 but not mx2 - my tutor just provided me with extra hard questions and loads of past papers from everywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)