whos been done for plagarism? (1 Viewer)

benno22

HSC
N/A
how many of u have been caught out for plagarism, whether being intentional or not, and what where your consequences

santaslayer

HSC
I have.

LLB 200 essay.

I didn't reference properly and was told that i was on the "verge of plagarising". I got a few marks deducted, but not enough for me to fail. I don't remember intentionally to plagarise but because of the lack of referencing, I was deemed to have.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Do you mean "ditto"?

Anyway, I haven't been caught. However, my writing style is indistinguishable from formal scientific writing as found in the journals we use, so I don't tend to exhibit the common red flags.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i got caught in yr 10 i cut pasted a why did australia go to vietnam essay straight off the net and iw as 1500 words over the word limit.
i set the margins to 0.1 to make it look less pages, so i just haneded in about 5 pages of solid writing edge to edge top to bottom

i got 10/20 for my convincing but obviously unbeleivable argument that i wrote it hahaha

im doing my essay checking now... im afraid that ill get be blamed for plagairising cos i forgot to reference something..
is it normal for an essay to have practically every other paragraph para-phrased :S
can u get penalised for over referencing?!?! :p

mishka

HSC
N/A
ideally, you should be using paraphrases and quotes from texts to prove/disprove the question or back-up/contradict something you have to say on the matter.

i'm overly self-conscious about plagiarism... but no way would i ever do it intentionally. it's like the biggest sin in uni.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I haven't been caught for plagarising, cause I've never plagarised. Although, during first year a lecturer went ballistic at me for putting the full stops in the wrong places in harvard referencing.

Two friends of mine have been busted for plagarism, they kinda copied each others assignments - and now they have to do the subject all over again.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
mr EaZy said:
just make sure every paragraph ends with a ref (or towards the end)
i think that should be alright

at my old school, ppl got told off for plaigarising, but nothing really happens
Not the best advice. Make sure everything that isn't yours ends in a reference. It's not good enough simply to take something you read and "put it in your own words".

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
im proofing an essay at the moment and i think theres too many news articles... try to get a balance in ur sources as well..... im not off to find a few more books and journals to prove my ridiculous standpoint on this issue

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
so what happens if u have too many references? it says minumum 10 references on mine but i have about 25, is that ok?

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Cape said:
Although, during first year a lecturer went ballistic at me for putting the full stops in the wrong places in harvard referencing.
I got marks taken off a Biology report last year because one of my references had a page range. The marker told me I was supposed to just indicate the starting page number.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy.

Chang

HSC
Well in high skool nearly every single one of my assignments was plagarised. Now in uni i havent exactly done it yet. I have paraphrased stuff but thats it. I fink im gonna get screwed over sooner or later because i dont know how to write an original document from a bunch of sources due to my bad habit.

persephone

HSC
I handed in my film reading log last week and was so paranoid about plagiarising. I quoted stuff and said stuff like they think/believe this or that. So paranoid... It'll be like that for every assignment.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
natstar said:
he asked......
so everyone who hasnt been done for plagarising should have also posted "not me"?
We should sticky this thread only for this purpose. For some reason I dont think he cares if we haven't, but who has.

On the plagarising thing, I've got a pretty funny story. A commerce (the yr 10 variety) student got done in for plagarising an essay. He copied it word for word from some university database. The teacher who was marking it thought it was really familiar. Turns out that the marker was the one who actually wrote the essay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)