Who's doing the new Combined Science/Med course? (1 Viewer)

latania

HSC
Hey all! I found out from the USyd website awhile ago that from this year onwards, they are offering this new course: Combined Science (either Adv Sci or Med Sci)/Medicine (with direct entry into Graduate Med after 3 years of undergrad science) I know that it's only offered to a small number of really talented students, having to enter through the Talented Students Program (TSP) ie getting high marks and stuff..and having to submit a CV with academic achievements and then an interview etc etc etc....

ANYWAYS, I was just wondering whether anyone here got into the course and whether anyone knows anything else about it...e.g. how hard is it exactly to get in and yeah...

Thanks!!!

envy87

HSC
errr...last year you basically needed a uai of 100 tho a few ppl got in with 99.95...basically its v. hard to get into...i think a fair amt of the ppl who got in, ended up not doing it anyway

nit

HSC
ok, firstly, if you get 99.90/99.95, you're pretty much in - there was only 1 person with 100 who accepted the offer. Secondly, unless you hope to do research at some point in your life, this course will be useless, frustrating and potentially disastrous...yes, most people who werer interviewed (about 29) rejected the offer and instead chose in general to do UNSW medicine. I was almost one of those (I got a UNSW med offer as well) until I attended the course and didn't think that I was suited to an exclusively humanities centred medicine program - the Usyd GMP will be similar to the UNSW med program and the pre-clinical science years will provide the theoretical side of things with rigour and also the ability to experiment. Also keep in mind that you will get a chance to be closer to the Usyd Dean of med than the UNSW dean and the hierarchy, if that means anything to you.

btw, I'm just starting out in this course (well, on the adv sci part), and it should be a good 7 years ahead...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
wow.. like with 7 yrs?... how do u stay so motivated for a WAM 80?
also how bout the honours year for adv sci can u still do tat?

plus wats in the extra units ure meant to do ?? ( ..GAMSAT replacement)

latania

HSC
hehe the motivation and determination for the 7 years ahead is certainly praise-worthy! Keep it up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)