Why are ATARs being released prior to HSC marks? (1 Viewer)

zbolland

HSC
The title. Every other year it has been HSC marks prior to the ATAR but they've reversed it this year. Why?

tito981

HSC
some unis will have there first round before the individual results are released so they released atar in time for the initial deadline.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I've been wondering this, since the HSC results will be needed for determining the ATARs

Jojofelyx

HSC
I've been wondering this, since the HSC results will be needed for determining the ATARs
As far as I know, UAC does not use HSC marks in determining a person's atar. From one of their published reports, i recall reading a section where they stated that the marks used to tally up to form an aggregate is the student's raw marks which UAC scales, not the things published as their HSC marks (HSC marks are all handled by NESA).
So i can kinda understand how marks can come out 4 days later. Why that is? Your guess is as good as mine.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
so essentially that implies that the results are already available and nesa just isnt releasing them?
Maybe. But unless it's changed recently, the ATAR is based on raw marks rather than aligned marks that are shown with the HSC marks.

That suggests that NESA would be doing work independent of the UAC with the marks, so ATARs don't necessarily have to be finalised last. It's certainly a bit strange getting an ATAR first without knowing the underlying marks though.

specificagent1

HSC
Maybe. But unless it's changed recently, the ATAR is based on raw marks rather than aligned marks that are shown with the HSC marks.

That suggests that NESA would be doing work independent of the UAC with the marks, so ATARs don't necessarily have to be finalised last. It's certainly a bit strange getting an ATAR first without knowing the underlying marks though.
ah which is why uac scales that raw mark to account for different years and difficulty etc

specificagent1

HSC

wait so how does estimated marks from nesa work? because those marks would not have a raw exam mark, how does uac calculate it then?

Jojofelyx

HSC
wait so how does estimated marks from nesa work? because those marks would not have a raw exam mark, how does uac calculate it then?
Say someone ranked 3rd.
In the real exam 4th place got 80 raw, 2nd place got 84 raw, theyd prolly just say yeh 82 sounds about right then. at least thats my best guess lol

Edit: nvm scratch that

specificagent1

HSC
Say someone ranked 3rd.
In the real exam 4th place got 80 raw, 2nd place got 84 raw, theyd prolly just say yeh 82 sounds about right then. at least thats my best guess lol

Edit: nvm scratch that
what if it was a group misadventure so the whole cohort got estimated?? like last year bomb threats that disrupted exams. How do they do it then?

specificagent1

HSC

and isnt 50% of ur atar from internals? internals doesn't really have raw marks and only a moderated mark that is in respect to aligned marks? so how does uac do it?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm not sure what estimated marks are sorry, that was never a thing when I was in school besides schools giving students an estimate range for scholarship etc. applications.

specificagent1

HSC
I'm not sure what estimated marks are sorry, that was never a thing when I was in school besides schools giving students an estimate range for scholarship etc. applications.
so like someone cant make it to the exam for some reason or something and nesa upholds their misadventure application

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
so like someone cant make it to the exam for some reason or something and nesa upholds their misadventure application
Not sure exactly how they do that since it could have an impact on scaling for subjects with small cohorts, you'd have to check the UAC documents.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
UAC has always had a separate scaling system, so basing it from raw rather than scaled / aligned marks makes sense, and it is true that ATAR calculations could be finalised first, but I still find it strange to release ATARs first. They used to come together, then were separated around when the UAI appeared.

zbolland

HSC
UAC has always had a separate scaling system, so basing it from raw rather than scaled / aligned marks makes sense, and it is true that ATAR calculations could be finalised first, but I still find it strange to release ATARs first. They used to come together, then were separated around when the UAI appeared.
Exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't really make sense to me, but there isn't much I can do about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)