Why are you aiming for such a high ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Salsta

HSC
Just wanted to ask, for those who are aiming for a really high ATAR e.g. 98+, why are you doing it? Other than those who are looking to do degrees in medicine or law, it doesn't really make sense to me why people aim for such a high ATAR when most of the degrees don't need such a high ATAR.

Epicman69

HSC
My friends say that they want a 98+ so that they could close their high school lives on a high note, Some of them feel that if they don't get over 98+ atar they've failed school, Some of them are just competitive so they like to rank themselves against others, Some of them are literally just smart and I can't see them getting below a 99.95. Personally, I fall into the "below 98 is pretty bad" group (not saying that it is actually bad, but just for my standards lol) also because most people I know go to tutoring which is expensive and we kinda don't wanna waste our parent's time and efforts so yea lol.

Oh yea some people might also want to try out for Scholarships and Co-ops for university which often requires atars in high 98+

icycledough

HSC
Another one I can think of is that if someone is planning to do a course in uni which requires a 95, they might see it better to aim for a 98 rather than a 95, in case during externals, a few things don't go as planned.

satvik_1008

HSC
Just wanted to ask, for those who are aiming for a really high ATAR e.g. 98+, why are you doing it? Other than those who are looking to do degrees in medicine or law, it doesn't really make sense to me why people aim for such a high ATAR when most of the degrees don't need such a high ATAR.
I honestly agree with this. This has to be said. Too many people fall into the trap of grinding for a high atar or a state rank in a particular subject when really, it doesn't even matter beyond getting you into the course you want or maybe providing a few tutoring dollars in first year. Literally after probably a week after atar's come out, no one cares about what atar anyone got, and you look like a cockhead if you ask anyone in uni what atar you got. As long as you get into the course you want, atar doesn't matter, and those who judge people with low atars otherwise are simply those who are so insecure, they have nothing else to show for themselves except for a number they got leaving high school.

axolotl!

HSC
Uni Grad
you never know how a high ATAR can come clutch for uni stuff, besides the obvious entry into the course you want (especially relevant for people going into med where competition is cutthroat). someone i know saved 60,000 dollars worth of fees for their course just because of their ATAR too so im sure he was glad with his hsc grind

satvik_1008

HSC
you never know how a high ATAR can come clutch for uni stuff, besides the obvious entry into the course you want (especially relevant for people going into med where competition is cutthroat). someone i know saved 60,000 dollars worth of fees for their course just because of their ATAR too so im sure he was glad with his hsc grind
depends on uni but this literally only happens if you get like a 99.9 or 99.95 atar (Chancellors award at uSyd or Jillian Segal Scientia Scholarship at UNSW)

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Cause why not? Some people aren't satisfied with mediocrity, and ultimately want to prove to themselves that they are capable of doing well with hard work and ambition. Even if there are people who are satisfied with the minimum passing mark, there will come a time when attaining the absolute best result is what you want whether it be for a test, a job etc. It's human nature to want to achieve.

qwertywerido

HSC
Honestly, I am aiming high because I don't know what the frick i want to do, and having a ATAR gives me options.
(also there is that thing wherein if I don't aim high, I won't try hard. So also personal mind trickery) :)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Back when I did HSC I studied heaps just for the sake of getting high marks/dux, but if I could redo it I wouldn't cos it's a waste of time. Legit just all goes out the window once you enter uni. Would've rather worked and been more social in high school honestly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)