Why do Girls like Chem ? (1 Viewer)

Ace-Pilot

Ive noticed alot of girls do chem, almost equal to the number of guys that do it (BOS stats).

So why chem, what do u girls like about it ?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Is'nt that just what you would normally expect from a non gender biased subject?

Last edited:

kate@bangas

yeah........i don't know what you mean? like...do you reckon less girls do physics than chem.....or something?

Ace-Pilot

yeah exactly, same in my case, hardly any girls do phys, but alot of em do chem !

What do they find so interesting bout it ?

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
cos some girls wanna do a "smart" science - the choices are physics and chem.

i think that chemistry appeals more to girls, as it isn't as i dunno "boring" as physics - or not as maths orientated....

there is more englishisy kinda stuff..
hmm whatdda u think?

i must say i am a girl who did phys and chem, then dropped phys. hmm

kate@bangas

there are 15 boys in my physics class.....but i thought that was only because it used to be an all boys school and it was a tradition.....but i do find that there are a lot of things the boys pick up on in physics that i have no idea whats going on..where as chem makes sense (most of the time...except when the exam is 2mozza!!!):eek: :eek:

Chicken

There's about 6 in the physics class at school (only one girl) and 7 in chemistry (2 girls - I'm the extra)

The other girl and I do chemistry because it's a challenging subject so we don't get TOO bored, we can actually DO it, it's "prestigious", it's scaled up (or at least, not down), and it's assumed knowledge for lots of uni courses

If I had to choose subjects I was actually INTERESTED in, I would have had to have left school and gone to uni already!!
I'm just trying to GET there for the time being!

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
I'm a girl. I dropped physics at the end of year 11, and kept chem. I would've liked it to have been the other way round, I like physics much better, but chem was assumed knowledge for more courses and at the time I didn't have much idea of what I wanted to do.

We have two classes of physics students at our school, and we're an all-girls school. So I don't see any justification in saying that physics is more a 'guy' subject.

esther

HSC
i go to an all girls skool and we managed to hab 2 classes for chem and for phys....
i dunno y but heaps of ppl think that phys is some guy subject and if ur girl doin phys ur weird or ur a guy wannabe or something

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
lol OK kate u just sounded like a kate i know at barker that does phys.

hgpstar

well we had mostly guys in physics and mostly girls in chem...but i like physics heeps betta, and hated every minute of chem (it was an assumed knowledge thing).

the thing i found weird wasn't the gender balance, but the fact that our physics class was made up of 50% macca's employees...

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I chose Physics & Bio initially. People told me Bio was easier than Chem so I went for that. I figured I'd do Physics because I wanted to do engineering at uni. Ended up dropping Physics & Bio :p

timmii

sporadic attendee
My school perpetuated the ultimate stereotypes:

Physics class was all boys
Chem class was 5 boys 4 girls, with all 5 boys doing physics as well
Biology was all girls and 1 boy. The boy did physics as well.

I think chem may appeal to girls because it is an appealing mixture of hard science/maths, while also being fairly english based. Biology being more rote learning and english based rather than conceptual and mathematical is more for the girls...and physics being the most mathematical appeals to the guys. Lol! I think i just put the cause of feminism back 50 years....but anyway, that is what i have observed!

Last edited:

Jripper

We got three classes, about 2/3 are guys....
1/2 and 1/2 for chemistry

I believe it is just the topic assoiated with physics....
Electronics, motors and generators....etc......not female friendly topics...

Chem is also less mathematically which is why girls take it.....my hypothesis...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by timmii
My school perpetuated the ultimate stereotypes:

Physics class was all boys
Chem class was 5 boys 4 girls, with all 5 boys doing physics as well
Biology was all girls and 1 boy. The boy did physics as well.

I think chem may appeal to girls because it is an appealing mixture of hard science/maths, while also being fairly english based. Biology being more rote learning and english based rather than conceptual and mathematical is more for the girls...and physics being the most mathematical appeals to the guys. Lol! I think i just put the cause of feminism back 50 years....but anyway, that is what i have observed!
In my grade, phys contained 7 boys, 1 girl (the girl came bottom) and for chem we had 6 boys, 2 girls (both girls came bottom in the class).

I disagree with u timmi, as I've mentioned in another thread, all the science subjects are the same now, simple rote learning, much like extension english subjects now. They contain no maths (the maths in there is so easy I wouldn't even classify it as maths) and that is why u see more girls doing phys and chem now with the introduction of the new HSC syllabuses because they can do very well even if they aren't good at maths. You just have to be able to write concisely and be able to express yourself well and rote learn information that u parrot back in the exam.

In the old syllabus, less girls were inclined to take on phys and chem because both phys and chem contained lots of maths and harder calculations, which guys in general are better at.

So the science subjects are benefiting girls now which sux.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate

In my grade, phys contained 7 boys, 1 girl (the girl came bottom) and for chem we had 6 boys, 2 girls (both girls came bottom in the class).

I disagree with u timmi, as I've mentioned in another thread, all the science subjects are the same now, simple rote learning, much like extension english subjects now. They contain no maths (the maths in there is so easy I wouldn't even classify it as maths) and that is why u see more girls doing phys and chem now with the introduction of the new HSC syllabuses because they can do very well even if they aren't good at maths. You just have to be able to write concisely and be able to express yourself well and rote learn information that u parrot back in the exam.

In the old syllabus, less girls were inclined to take on phys and chem because both phys and chem contained lots of maths and harder calculations, which guys in general are better at.

So the science subjects are benefiting girls now which sux.
I agree with all but your last line. What sucks is not that subjects are seen to benefit just the girls, just the boys, just the Goths, just the left-handed Aboriginal paraplegics. What sucks is that the science course has become less and less a course that seeks to teach anything of the scientific method and more a course that prepares students to do PR work for companies in future. It is an extremely superficial treatment.

The fact that there are no serious calculations or algorithms in the courses means that some people are going to get a hge shock when they get to uni science. No intuition or powers of logic are being developed. Maths is essential in science, it's no good sticking your head in the sand and hoping all those nasty little symbols fly away. It's necessary to get more people into science if we want more great innovation to take place in this country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)